Who has run the Rubicon??

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Wanted to know who has ran it and what they thought of it as far as: What mods would be needed? How tough is it (I hear mixed emotions on this)? Any info, feedback, experiences, input, comments, warnings or rants please let them fly. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes.

You'll need, at a minimum rock sliders, 32/33 inch tires, skid plates, and a good spotter. Having a rear locker, helps alot, the more suspension lift you have helps a lot.

Expect trouble in Big Sluice, look and watch Little Sluice, write off Old True Sluice.

yup tom hit pretty much all of it. A locker will make it much nicer. Also if you have a long overhang or are long you will smack the rear bumper a few times.

Matt

Rubicon

right on Tom
Bash bars (rock-sliders) are a must, locked at least one end ( both is best), tow points, extend you diff breathers you WILL be going through water, make sure your truck is up to a long run through the rocks ( about 12 miles I think) if it's you first time don't try to get through in one day take your time and someone that has been there before.:bounce: and have a ball
http://www.artfulillusions.com/rubicon/rubicon.html

I been on it four times last yr. couple on my quad/ and in my 71 bronco. but only part way do to time off. i been in on the tahoe side going down to the rubicon springs. and around the area. due to me living in NV. I hope to due the full run this summer in late june or early july. I picked up my 94x about a month ago.im working no getting ready. anyhow a rear locker help sense 70% of the traction comes from the rear. and i also agree with 32's or 33's i seen alot of toys and jps with them . my bronco has 4'' lift,33'' boggers, locker in the back. and body mods by rocks.

Thanks for the input people. I'm running 33's, have about 7 to 8 inches of lift. I do have ****tybuilt nerf bars that are all bent but the work fine for what there for. Will install EZ Detroit in the rear and not sure what I can do for cheap in the front (any ideas?). I have the stock skid plates and all my breather tubes are extended. I have after market bumpers so dont care if they hit and also have tow hooks front and rear. I do not have winch!

So anyone else ran the Rubicon?

So only 4 people on this site have ran the Rubicon?? I find that hard to believe!

Yes, I have done it twice. I only had a 4" lift but I also had 35's, so those helped with the clearance. I did use my rock sliders (a lot) and definitely got some body damage. I think Tom pretty much got it straight with what you need. The only thing is, with an explorer I wouldn't go with smaller than 33's. With the locker you are putting in and the set up you have, you should be just fine. I wish I still had mine so I could drive the 'CON' again. Good luck and have fun.:D

Back