Who has V8 swapped Sports on here? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who has V8 swapped Sports on here?

dasfinc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 SOHC Exploder
Thinking about moving my Xcharged 5.0 over from my ranger to my 97 2wd Expo sport?

Who all has done it, anyone done it with a 5 speed? (My ranger is an Auto, the Expo is a manual)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you've done th 5.0 swap on a ranger then you must already know some of the procedure of swapping. There is a thread on a manual trans swapped into a V8 4door you may want to try searching for that for ideas, Or else just carry over the auto trans and change the steering column.

If you've done th 5.0 swap on a ranger then you must already know some of the procedure of swapping. There is a thread on a manual trans swapped into a V8 4door you may want to try searching for that for ideas, Or else just carry over the auto trans and change the steering column.

I'm mainly interested in what manual transmissions work with a V-8 in an Explorer. Also curious what kind of modifications need to be done as far as the transmission brace.

Also curious about short shifters etc.

To my understanding I can just use 5.0 mounts and brackets out of the 4 door, My ranger is a 98 so its a coil sprung truck, and not the same as the Expo.

Both good articles, Neither are 5 speed 2wd Explorer sports with 5.0's so they don't really help me.

One is for a 4X4 V-8 being converted to 5speed, the other appears to just be an 5.0 automatic swapped sport.

Anyone done this setup before?

Anyone else?

Plans are in full swing to do this over the winter once I find a suitable donor.

To my understanding I can just use 5.0 mounts and brackets out of the 4 door, My ranger is a 98 so its a coil sprung truck, and not the same as the Expo.

You've got that part figured out. 2 or 4wd (AWD) isnt going to make any difference on the mounts. So the 5.0 swap is the same on the engine half.

The m5od-r2 from a 97+ 4.2l is the most common trans (prob has a lot to do with the fact that most swaps are 4wd). The 4.2l trans is the right bolt pattern for the 5.0l and the 97+ puts the shifter in (almost exactly) the same location as stock. You can use an older m5od from a 5.0 truck, and just replace the top cover with the newer shifter plate. Even the stock 6 cyl Ex master and slave will work.

-or-
The T5. But I've never been a fan of them behind anything more the stock 5.0ls.

You've got that part figured out. 2 or 4wd (AWD) isnt going to make any difference on the mounts. So the 5.0 swap is the same on the engine half.

The m5od-r2 from a 97+ 4.2l is the most common trans (prob has a lot to do with the fact that most swaps are 4wd). The 4.2l trans is the right bolt pattern for the 5.0l and the 97+ puts the shifter in (almost exactly) the same location as stock. You can use an older m5od from a 5.0 truck, and just replace the top cover with the newer shifter plate. Even the stock 6 cyl Ex master and slave will work.

-or-
The T5. But I've never been a fan of them behind anything more the stock 5.0ls.

I neglected to mention that I was thinking about retaining the 4R70W due to the strength of it Vs. the available 5 speeds.

Are the M5OD-R2's off a 4.2 going to be strong enough to handle 350/400ftlb of torque off the line at a dragstrip? Any different internally from the ones used behind the 4.6 minus the Bellhousing? (Clutch seems to be the same)

Any performance clutches available?

Now I'm just curious who all has them and what kind of hicuups/tricks they have learned. Curious now about the 2wd Driveshaft with the 4R70W as well. Truck will be a 'street' truck (Engine is a roots blown 302 with cam and goodies)

Back