Who here flat tows their Explorer's, Sport Trac's, etc...? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who here flat tows their Explorer's, Sport Trac's, etc...?

I'm in the process of doing my SAS, V8 conversion on my 2003 Sport Trac. The rig will be street legal but just barely and it won't be the best for highway use (to get out to the trails further away).

I don't have a trailer and so I would like to flat tow my truck behind my 2013 Toyota Tacoma BAJA 4wd doublecab short bed. I have a heavy duty tow bar with safety chains already.

More info on my trail/ street rig. 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT. I'm in the process of the following setup:

351w, C6 trans, 1356 manual transfercase from a 1989 Ford F-250
Dana 44 front solid axle from a 1989 Grand Waggy (going to have either 4.10 or 4.56 gears, selectable locker eventually)
Ford 8.8 rear solid axle from a 1999 Explorer V8 AWD (replacement axle, original bent in accident, gear same as front of course)
37" H1 Goodyear tires mounted on H1 recentered double beadlocks

I listed the mods because they will affect the flat tow setup I need info about.

What all will I need to do to flat tow my rig once it is complete? Any info, links or sites would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture of the Trac (not finished yet but it doesn't have the stock front bumper or frame ears on it).

IMG_6132.jpg

IMG_6135.jpg

And the Tacoma that will be towing it.

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

A six speed manual would be awesome. I'd rather have a manual but this one is for a 2wd correct?

I still need to figure out what rearend gears to run with the 37's and 351w, C6 combo. I was going to run either 4.88's or 5.13's with the stock Sport Trac V6, trans and transfercase but those are going away to make room for the 351w. I'm thinking either 4.10's or 4.56's to give me a decent road gear but also not be too steep. I have another thread about the gear selection already so if you have any suggestions please post there. Thanks.

Found here... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405955

Back