Who here knows how to drive a stick shift? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Who here knows how to drive a stick shift?

Can you drive a stick shift?

• Yes

Votes: 251 94.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 5.6%

• Total voters

Willard

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger Edge
So, thought this would be interesting to see how many of us can actually drive a stick. I can, and think everyone should learn. It's just so much more fun.

Sadly, however, there are a lot of people now who don't know how do drive a manual.

So, do you?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
No :(. I had convinced a few of my friends with sticks to let me try it out on their cars but things kept coming up. One day... Once I do get the hang of it I get to play with a Bullit though so I'm pushing to get it done.

<

m4dc0w

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97XL
It should say who can drive a stick shift properly :p:

How about paddle shifters?

heheh

how about trucks with more than 9 gears?

heh

Yes to all of the above

<

HahnsB2

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Ground WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
Yup, wouldn't own anything else...

Can drive without the clutch and non-synchro tranny's too.

<

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
I DD my Ranger 3.0/5 speed. I actually prefer a standard transmission, better power and economy and overall control of the vehicle. Sadly, manual transmissions are rarely even available anymore in most models.

I can also drive non-syncro semi trucks- I drive one infrequently, but I can.

The trick is switching from one to the other back to back.

Its like when I started driving lift trucks, the forward and reverse control is where the turn signal is on vehicles. I got in my car after the first day and nearly ripped off my turn signal stalk.

<

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
I learned to drive stick on a 4 spd 1981 Mazda GLC.

The first time I drove an auto, it was scary, but I was 15, on a canal road, and fleeing away from a county water inspector :shifty_ey

<

snoborder42

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Valley/Downtown Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4x4
I hate hate hate automatics!!!! Can't stand them at all.

First car I ever drove was my parents 5speed explorer and never went back. :thumbsup:

<

James909

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 GMC Yukon 2 Door
No, because I've never had the opportunity to learn. I would love to learn but I don't even know anyone that drives a stick. They are so rare nowadays. I can however drive a motocross bike with a 6 speed manual transmission. I know it's not the same but it's the same idea. I'm only 19 though and do have plans of eventually owning a car with a manual transmission.

<

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I haven't owned an automatic since 1978. :eek: :smokinfro

<

Willard

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger Edge
No, because I've never had the opportunity to learn. I would love to learn but I don't even know anyone that drives a stick. They are so rare nowadays. I can however drive a motocross bike with a 6 speed manual transmission. I know it's not the same but it's the same idea. I'm only 19 though and do have plans of eventually owning a car with a manual transmission.

I have the advantage that my dad's truck is a stick. Learned on it, and love it. Know some tricks, too. Like powershifting, and shifting without the clutch. I love manual transmissions. Reliable, efficient, and fun to drive. I'm 19, too.

<

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
I learned on a stick at age 9. I like stick much better than auto (depending on what kind of vehicle I'm driving), but own 2 autos right now. :shifty_ey

My girlfriend's '08 BMW 335i is stick though. :burnout:

<

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Out in the boonies, California (Homeland/Romoland)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
At my age, I would HOPE I know how to drive a stick shift! :D

<

Clippers

Reaction score
City, State
NE Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
Driving a with a stick shift can be alot of fun, it can also be a big pain in the rear! I drove vehicles with stick shifts for 12 years and then started buying trucks that were automatic's. It'll be auto's from here on out.

<

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I drive a Stic-O

<

redneck21

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport
Unless it's a sports car or other w/e that i get for the main reason to haul A$$ i like a stick anything else tho i take an auto and when i liked in ATL i was glade i had an auto.

<

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
I can but the wife can't. With all the rush hour highway & city driving I encounter a sick would suck anyways.

<

Essex4x4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Johnston Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
Unfortunately as we all know the newer explorers only come as an automatic. I have had few of both in the past, automatics and manuals. I know that having an manual is more fun but due to a serious leg injury its really hard for me to drive with both legs. In fact I usually just turn on the cruise and drive without the peddles. Hey call me a sissy or lazy but I like not having to shift, one less thing I have to do. <<LAZY!!!

<

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I unfortunately have a stick f-150 right now. Sucks when you are sitting in traffic... 1st-2nd-3rd-2nd-3rd-2nd-1st-2nd-1st-2nd-1st-2nd-3rd-2nd-1st, etc.
The wife doesn't know how but I hope to teach her sometime. Unfortunately the F-150 has a pretty old clutch, and I'd rather not put a new one in if I can help it...

<

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
First two cars were stick, love diving a stick, just not so much in LA traffic:thumbdwn: I own all Auto's right now.:(

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
automatic transmission aka slush box, my 05 Explorer has one, did not have a choice, but my other three are sticks.

<