Who here knows how to drive a stick shift? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Who here knows how to drive a stick shift?

Can you drive a stick shift?

• Yes

Votes: 251 94.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 5.6%

• Total voters

sjr033

Reaction score
City, State
Portage, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SPORT
I DD my Ranger 3.0/5 speed. I actually prefer a standard transmission, better power and economy and overall control of the vehicle. Sadly, manual transmissions are rarely even available anymore in most models.

I can also drive non-syncro semi trucks- I drive one infrequently, but I can.

The trick is switching from one to the other back to back.

Its like when I started driving lift trucks, the forward and reverse control is where the turn signal is on vehicles. I got in my car after the first day and nearly ripped off my turn signal stalk.

X2
I used load turck for Pepsi. So it was bring the semi in, then jump on the lift truck, then pull the truck out. 10-20 time a shift. Then get in your truck and drive home and forget that you have an auto and put both feet on the brake.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
My Explorer is auto, but my DD is a 5speed Ford Focus.

<

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Learned on my first car (pic circa 1989) '82 Mercury Lynx FTW!

Lynx.jpg

Loved that car- black velour-ish interior, woodgrain, and the infamous pull-switch premium sound! It was also the first vehicle I ever tinted myself. :)

Prefer manuals- can get much better mileage by altering my shift points and gears used... Only suck in stop and go highway driving, or when I'm driving stop and go when on the phone. Yuk. Now I don't even talk on the phone unless it's hands free- too dangerous.

<

T

TinwoodyII

My first drive was a three-on-the tree, synchro 2 and 3, 51 Woody, switched from stick to auto in 2004 and haven't looked back. Have a 94 Nissan stick, but probably will not own another stick. TWII is auto, and for me, the only way to go.
Bill W
38N121W

<

MadCow

Reaction score
City, State
Sault Ste Marie, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
In the market...
Sadley my explorer is automatic, but my 02 mustang is stick. I had an automatic sunfire before the mustang, but I needed a car and it was cheap. I learned to drive on an 87 tempo 2 door 5 speed. I find automatics boring, but I got the ex cheap, and its to beat around in, maybe some mild trail driving but mostly to save the mustang from another winter. I agree about having much more control, in the winter its nice to have alternate ways to slow down and such.

<

<

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
I learned to drive a stick on a 93 Ford Ranger 4cyl 5 speed extended cab when i was 12 years old! We were in the lowes parking lot one saturday afternoon/night, cop came up and was like "are you old enough to drive?", my dad explained what was up, and the cop was like "well hell sonny, you listen to your old man, if you can drive a stick you can drive almost anything when needed!" he sat there in the parking lot watching us till we left! talk about a cool cop!

<

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
FTW Joe Dirt?

1981 Mazda GLC sedan = FTW :D

e28064f9.jpg

Not actual pic, but same color, and pimptastic :burnout:

My particular GLC went through hell... Blew the throwout bearing... Numerous reverse to forward burnouts... Caught air doing 60 MPH... :shifty_ey

<

<

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Seems like I'm in the minority here. Guess I'd better get goin with this...

<

<

Burns

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pulaski, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer/2002 F-250
I have learned on a auto but i now drive a stick.

Converted the explorer over 2 yrs ago or longer

<

zukman

"Home of Misfit Crawlers"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
arcadia calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91EB, '86Sami, '85Ranger
:bounce:Love driving stick! Raced with one for years! Although a 3000# zoom clutch in traffic can be a real pain!!!! Raced car in Championship race next weekend gave birth to the little Stic-o 2 weeks later back on the track. Easter Sunday was in the middle. Sometimes I miss it till I remember the traffic the hills in traffic and a 3000# clutch.

On a bright note The "little sister Ranger" is a stick!!!!! can't wait to drive it! Hurry up Zukman!!! :bounce:

<

ZBlackBeast

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer/SHO
I learned when i was 9 or 10 too, both my parents had late 80's accord 5 speeds. Right now, well, before my mom totaled my ex, it was an auto and im driving their old ES300 which is auto... (no AC, OMG it blows, it blows hard) But i have my SHO.. I drove it for the first time in 5 months on Sunday.. Was quite the thrill... 5 speeds are the way to go. I think if you want to make a car go fast and you have the option of manual or auto, PLEASE go manual. You can really "drive" a car with a manual!!

<

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
You're not the minority.....two other people don't know how to drive a stick, either :D

I'm gonna chalk that up to the people that don't know how to are just smart enough not let everyone in on their secrets... :shifty_ey

<

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
I miss having a stick shift....

And, if I ruled the world, a major rule would be that unless you had a disability that prevented you from driving a stick, you would not be allowed to drive an automatic sports car.

<

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
And, if I ruled the world, a major rule would be that unless you had a disability that prevented you from driving a stick, you would not be allowed to drive an automatic sports car.

Amen brother!! I'd vote for you. :thumbsup:

<

E.B. Cornburner

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
I couldn't believe this thread even came up! Driving a manual tranny is second nature for me.
It is sad that we've become a "shiftless" driving public nowadays. My personal opinion is that if there were more manual transmission vehicles on the road (with people capable of driving them) there'd be less traffic accidents. It could reduce people trying to multi-task while they're driving. Look at how many people are on the phone while they're driving, and worse yet, text messaging while driving! I rode with a buddy's GF once, and she was texting while she was driving and I took her phone away from her till we got where we were going. She didn't like my comment either...I told her she had a hard enough time driving without any other useless distractions. I wasn't lying...She was an absolutely terrible driver.

This is a very sad time in history when the manual transmission has become rare and almost exotic to some people.

<

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
A lot of people think of this as driving a manual

1st, 2nd, D, OD.
(manually moving the automatic shift)

I drive an automatic, but don't like it. Wish I drove a manual.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Back in 1979 a good friend of mine ordered a new Z28. He ordered it with a 4 speed manual, but he didn't know how to drive a stick:eek:

He went to the dealer with another friend to pick up the car, and to teach him how to drive it. That's also the car I learned on. He let me slip behind the wheel and take it for a spin. That car with the 4 speed and, I believe 4:10 gears, really moved out well for a '79 smogster.

<