Who here knows how to drive a stick shift? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Who here knows how to drive a stick shift?

Can you drive a stick shift?

• Yes

Votes: 251 94.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 5.6%

• Total voters

Backwoods "X"

Reaction score
City, State
Mt. Sterling, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
2 things. Yes, I drive manual transmission, from a 3 speed column with worn out/missing bushings, several 4 and 5 speeds, and a 13 speed Eaton. Secondly, the only Autos in my household belong to my wife... ( The 94 "X" is on borrowed time, 224,000 mile A4LD and the 98 Mounty has a ZF waiting for it.... 217,000 {hurry up and crap all ready, stupid 4re44})
Our 4 kids can all drive a manual, including the 40" tall 8 year old, who allready has an 84 BII.....

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Truck39Trash

Reaction score
City, State
North Myrtle Beach, SC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Yes. I learned on a International Farm Tractor in 89 that was old as I was. Then I upgraded to a new John Deere that actually had a foot throttle instead of hand throttle. Learned how to drive big trucks, love a Fuller Eaton. Split rears, clutch, no clutch. Have owned at least one manual tranny vehicle up until last summer since the early 90's.

<

murkinstock

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
I love driving a manual. I don't own one but I want one though! I have drove two of my brothers 5 speeds. I'm not the best but give me a couple drives to get used to the car and I can pretty much drive it no problem! So much fun!

<

KORDemon7

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna Delaware.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 yamaha Blaster
I can drive one like a pro.

<

slhanks4

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited
I drove stick shift vehicles for years. I choose to drive automatics now. Sticks get old when you're sitting in heavy traffic.

<

FR-425

Used to be a road here.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
Heavy hauler:

18 speed with doubler and axle spliter.

72 possible forward gears. :burnout:

Picture006_zps6a8bd9ba.jpg

<

vq5speed

Reaction score
City, State
1991 XLT Manual Locks
Year, Model & Trim Level
Stockton,Ca
My first job I had my boss taught me how to drive a stick in his VW bug. My first car though was an automatic 1972 Chevy Malibu. Since then I've only owned 3 vehicles that had a manual transmission.

<

IIGood

Reaction score
City, State
Arnold, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer; 03 Mustang
I didn't learn how to drive stick until I was 25. I'd been driving for 9 years at that time. Only reason I learned was because I wanted a car with a manual transmission...and I bought my '03 GT then. I couldn't even drive it off the dealership lot yet myself because I didn't know how to yet! LOL

Fun? Yes...depending on the vehicle and conditions. I love driving that car...except when stuck in traffic. The clutch is a bit heavier than most cars, and it's just a stock clutch. Thank goodness I never decided to get a heavier duty clutch. My left leg will be sore within minutes when I'm caught in backed up traffic...which happens fairly regularly on any given weekday evening at rush hour here. I've gotten to the point lately in my "older years" that I don't mind having an automatic in those situations.

But for spirited driving in a fun car...heck yeah...manual all the way. :)

<

4rd Xplora

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
On a Round Rock in Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 2WD.
First standard I drove in traffic was a 57' Chevy 150, three on the tree, I was about 13 at the time. The first car I bought when I was 17 was a 67' GTO, with a four speed. Now I have a Mustang with a five speed for relaxation.

<

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
I love to row through the gears. Using a clutch in traffic does not bother me. I Was a truck driver for 10 years.

<

jrme

Reaction score
City, State
London Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 2wd sport
3 in the tree 4,5,6 straight 8...10,13,18 speeds and twin stick.

<

Machine090767

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Learned to drive with a manual gearbox.

<

LisaMarie

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Platinum
My first Explorer was a stick . . .

<

dizzybeak

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Manual up until now, I tried automatic of course but I feel like you get better control of your engine on manual transmission.

<

DMG632

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
When I first got my CDL all the big rigs had the brownie gear box, 2 sticks to choose from . Thank God only one clutch.

<

96firephoenix

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I've had 2 cars converted from Automatic to Manual... or in other words, 100% of the automatics that I've owned.

<

CreepingNet

Reaction score
City, State
Sparks, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport 5spd 2wd
I learned to drive stick on my Explorer. So far I'm the only person I know with a manual in one of my vehicles and the only one of two people I know who can drive stick.

<

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Who here knows how to "double-clutch" a manual with non-synchronized 1st. gear, to engage while moving with no gear "clash"? imp

<

Hacra

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nurmijärvi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 Eddie Bauer
Before i got into american cars, i had never owned an automatic...

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

<