Who here runs HID headlights???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who here runs HID headlights????

Who here runs HID headlights???? (PIC'S & VIDEO ADDED)

I recently bought an HID kit from DDM Tuning and I am not sure what I got myself into. I purchased the 9007 (low beam only) 55w slim digital 8000K kit. Anyone else run this exact kit? Will I need a relay harness? Is heat going to be an issue? Anyone have any pics? Will they look like poo in my stock assemblies, and if so what housings work better?

Opinions, concerns, tips, tricks, do's and do not's, preference of 35w vs 55w or vice versa, color preferences, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GIVE SOME INPUT / FEEDBACK........ Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will need to either get projector headlights or do a retro fit to get the best use out of the HID lights. If not you run the risk of blinding on coming traffic

i have the same exact kit, except 6000k.

relay harness not needed, DDM included the relay harness (did for mine). i don't use it and it works fine on my truck. i keep my lights on auto so they flick on whenever and theyre still going strong.

they look great on my stock assembly, as i don't give a hoot what the other drivers think haha

just an FYI. the polarity on the DDM kit and the polarity of my explorer going into the plugs for the kit were opposite (so - met +). all you have to do if flip the connector around and it will still click in.

Well I got the light put in finally and they look great. DDM Tuning 55w 8000K HID in stock headlight housings. I sanded and polished the stock headlight and running/turn light assemblies and they cleaned up nicely. I used the 3M lens restoration kit that has 500 and 800 grit discs then wet sanded the len's and polished with a rubbing compound that was included in the kit. Bumper lights are from Soundoff Signal and they are a 500 lumen Par 36 4" round LED work light that burn approx 5500K. Lights on the roof are my takedown lights which are two 55w halogen lights. I recently replaced the passenger side fog light and replaced all wiring and those work now as well, I will take some more pictures when I can. Install was very easy and stock assemblies actually project the light very well. Here are some pictures and video, let me know what you think....

:feedback:

P1000837.jpg

P1000836.jpg

P1000835.jpg

P1000834.jpg

P1000833.jpg

P1000832.jpg

P1000831.jpg

P1000830.jpg

P1000829.jpg

P1000826.jpg

P1000825.jpg

VIDEO OF LIGHTS

ive got 55 watters in my heads and 55 watts in all for of my day lighters :) SOO MUCH LITE

i wanna put 8,000k hids for my 01 sport and 3,000k for my fogs

05 XLT...

Running 8000K Low's, and Fog's...

i dont have enough cash yet

Has anyone actually gotten pulled over here for running hids? I was thinking about just running the brightest conventional bulbs I could find at first. Though do running projector headlights help when having hids?

i just received my DDM 35W 500K kit today and installed this afternoon. I am curious to see what they look like tonight when I head into work. From watching them warm up in the daylight they look very white.......we'll see!

are the DDM kits safe to run in the stock housing of a 2000? i dont have the cash for projector housings

I wouldn't see why not. I would just get the 35W instead of the 55W just to be on the safe side.

ive got 10k hi/lo top and 10k fogs

I've got 35w 6000k lows in my 97 stock housings...no problems yet (knock on wood). They've been in since about March. I have NOT once been flashed by other drivers, so I don't think blinding is a problem if aimed properly. I did buy a relay harness just to be safe; just a cheapy from eBay.
And to whoever said their polarity was mixed up, mine were too. But it was an easy fix.

And I wouldn't worry about the 55w kit messing up stock housings...the HID bulbs, it's my understanding, burn a LOT cooler than halogen bulbs, so I don't think heat would be a problem. But the stock wiring might be a concern; I'd recommend getting a relay. It's better to spend a few bucks on a relay than to have to replace all your headlight wiring if something goes wrong.

Just my .02

relay with harness is always a must...you gotta remember guys these ballasts pull a lot of power from startup and if they ever short out they are going to fry your existing harness/electrical lines in the car and you will be in trouble...always putting a harness with a relay and power from the battery is always the best option to protect your car and always make sure the ballasts get enough power from the battery at start up...my 2 cents

I had a 92' with diamond cut clear housings and 10,000k HIDs (35w) and the light output was beyond words amazing. They were aimed a tad high, I got the occasional flash at least once a night, but I lit up as far as thee I could see lol.

I then got a 95' Explorer, then got the projector housings, and then 10,000k (35w) HIDs again, and absolutely hated it. It was awful at night, I felt like I lost SO MUCH potential from the projectors, and I know someone will probably chime in and tell me I had them aimed wrong, blah blah, or that they were dark because they were 10,000k; so heres this, I spent probably a total of 3 hours within 2 nights aiming them up and down, side to side. Nothing helped much. Also, the first pair of 10,000k's I had was more like a mix between 6k and 8k, because ive seen 6k bluer than these, and ive seen 8k bluer than these.

I did have the 200$ eBay one piece projectors, so they werent the best of quality, so in other words, a retrofit would be your best bet; a nice high quality projector fitted into some clear housings. Expensive, but worth it, and if I ever get another Explorer, thats what im going to be doing to it first.

-ALSO- some say HIDs in stock housings is a no-no because you blind everybody, TRUE.....until you aim them. HIDs have to be aimed ALOT lower than your stock halogens, so if you dont aim your housings down, it will be like your driving with your brights on x10.

I drove thousands of miles last summer all through midwest US and Canada (much of it at night) with my "$200 eBay projectors" (although I didn't get them from eBay) and they are by far the best lighting option I've used for any of my three second gen Explorers. I use 4300K HIDs. 35w.

During this extended road trip (including two overnight jaunts to/from Kansas to visit Turdle/get headers installed), every once and a while I'd switch over to the high beams (regular halogens, although mine are European issued Osrams which are kickass bulbs). I'd always switch back to HID lowbeams because they are so great. Easy on the eyes and superb coverage.

No complaints whatsoever. I've used every premium bulb out there and three different HID kits (including two bi-xenon offerings) in Diamond Cut projectors. The glare they threw was awful. My current setup is the cat's ass. Very little in the way of focusing or aiming needed to get them right. Been very pleased from Day 1.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

relay with harness is always a must...you gotta remember guys these ballasts pull a lot of power from startup and if they ever short out they are going to fry your existing harness/electrical lines in the car and you will be in trouble...always putting a harness with a relay and power from the battery is always the best option to protect your car and always make sure the ballasts get enough power from the battery at start up...my 2 cents

i have 55 watt hids in my head lights and 2 sets of daylighters and i olny have one harness for the 4 day lighters and have no issues at all :thumbsup:

Back