Who is going to King of the Hammers (KOH) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is going to King of the Hammers (KOH)

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Who is going? I am going to try to head out for at least part of the week. It will depend on my job on which days I will make it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm planning on being there the February 9-12. Never been before, have you guys?

will be there race day for sure

So what's it gonna be like staying on the Lakebed? Is a tent gonna cut it?

A tent will work but it is definately not the best (and I love tent camping). It is very likely the wind will kick up at times and it will be very cold at night. Bring a warm sleeping bag and dress in layers for the day. Cold mornings then it warms up to short sleeve weather and then cools down again. Bring ski goggles if you have them, they definately help in the wind. If you leave your tent up during the day stake it down good or it might not be there when you get back. There is a big area of Porta-potties near the big tent and that is about it as far as facilities go. If you like quiet at night you will want to camp farther away from "Downtown Hammertown" and the pit rows.

There is a Wal-Mart and grocery stores about 30 minutes away in Yucca Valley, a gas station and mini store about 15 minutes away.

So what's it gonna be like staying on the Lakebed? Is a tent gonna cut it?

What Brian said. Expect nights of 20 and windy and days of 70 and sunny and you will have what you need for any weather. Last year I would wake up to frozen water bottles in my camper shell every morning. I will probably be tent camping it this year. If my tent fits I am just going to screw it down to the trailer deck to hold it in place. Otherwise stake it well and during the day when gone I usually collapse it and put some rocks on top to hold it down cause the wind can pickup quick.

There will be outhouses in downtown and some food carts if you don't want to cook for yourself. For food my rule of thumb is bring twice as many drinks as I think I need and half the food. I end up coming home with no drinks and extra food.

The law will be out in full force. So make sure no drinking and driving and if you bring a bike make sure you have out state registration a helmet and no riding double.

This will be my 4th year out there as well.

..I'm hoping to make it out again this year and chauffeur those from the airport to In-N-Out as needed..:shifty_ey[/url]

:D I think I got it covered this year. Do you run an In-n-out delivery service to the lakebed? I might get a craving mid-week :p:

Are you going to come out for the stock & stock mod races on Superbowl Sunday?

Are you going to come out for the stock & stock mod races on Superbowl Sunday?

...That is my #1 reason for wanting to make it out this year as I'm hoping they will need an official backup Photographer for this...;)

...Well..:scratch:..That, and I'm needing a new zippered hoodie..:p:

I'm planning on coming out for Friday. Probably have the two little ones with me though:D

...Cool...We can put all the dogs and kids in one truck like when we were kids..:biggthump

I'm hopeing to be there this year. Some friends are making the trek and I claimed the open seat. Will know for sure later this week.

..So what is the first day out there this year?

..I'm needing to know so I can tell customers I gots better things to do than wait..:D

..Superbowl Sunday for the stockers but are they having pre qualifieng and/or LCQ's before Sunday?..Harley and I are already jonesing for this trip..:bounce:

..Thanks Brian..:biggthump

...Looks like I will be able to go to San Diego for 2 days then come back and grab the X, and I should be able to make it out there by Saturday too..:D

..I'm expecting total chaos on Sunday...:burnout:...:hammer:...:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back