• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Who knows about Classical music?

Willard

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger Edge
So I recently have had this fascination with Classical music. Particularly the louder, more aggressive, and majestic kind. I enjoy the amazing range you get in Classical music, and the great feeling of power that comes from it. I also enjoy listening to pipe organ music for the same reasons.

So does anybody have suggestions for what I need to start with? I know little about classical, but want to know more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
If you like majestic, powerful sounding orchestral/choral music then I highly recommend the "Mercenaries" soundtrack...you can get it off Itunes or buy from Amazon...I love it!

I also would recommend the following, as they are pieces by truly Classical composers:

Bach: "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor"
Wagner: "Ride of the Valkyries"
Orff: "O Fortuna" - from Carmina Burana
Mussorgsky: "Pictures at an Exhibition" (album)
Nevsky: "Battle on the Ice"

Althogh most of what I listed just now are single pieces, hopefully it will give you an idea of who you like and encourage you to try their other works.

Metel

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB
I bought this set about 8 years ago and it is a very good starter set. Masters of Classical Music

Its a good price for what you get IMO and it covers a great range of different styles.

jad2411

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Brown eb
It's sad to see Classical music cd's for like 1.99, seems like nobody appreciates it, but it's good for us that want to buy them :D, I don't know anything, I just bought Bethoveen, Mozart, Bach, Strauss, you know the most famous ones. I also listen to a radio station that plays mostly classical music, seems to calm my baby and put her to sleep :D

Willard

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger Edge
Thanks guys, I was hoping someone on here would have some good suggestions. I'll have to look into this stuff and get some.

Max: Funny thing, I found a version of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor played by an organist last night on youtube, listened to the whole thing. It was awesome.

Explorer#2

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham Alabama,
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I also enjoy listening to pipe organ music for the same reasons.

Personally I think Pipe Organs are one of the coolest things around. We have a really nice one at our church and the organist will just go to town on it after the service...its really cool.

My mom sings in our choir and she convinced the choir master to let us play on it for a few minutes. We both play piano, I have been playing for 15ish years my mom since she was 4, so we kind of had an idea about what to do, but not really. Anyways if you think listening to them is cool, playing them is even cooler.

One thing that I really like about classical music is that it paints a picture with the sounds. In Tchaikovsky's - 1812 Overture you can almost see a young Russian soldier scared to death as Napoleon's Grand Army is marching on Moscow, then the song picks up and you can feel the Russians turning the French back.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Most of my favorite classical music are telarc CD's.. They do a great job in recording them..

I love it when I get the CD and it has a warning so you don't blow your speakers. The Telarc recording of Tchaikovsky - 1812 overture uses real cannons..

~Mark

edit:
1812.jpg

~Mark

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
i love classical music i have a whole bunch of cds and i am gonna be getting more and more

Shen2187

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
I like all classical depending on my mood... Yes I am a guy with moods.. So what? Wanna fight about it? But really, my playlist of classical is very broad.
My very favorite piece would have to be Samuel Osborne Barber's Adagio for Strings.. It just makes you FEEL.. Some don't like it because they say it's too slow and long but I love it!

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
Check out Rhapsody in Blue. It's more of a piano/orchestra duet, but friggin amazing!!

Not sure if marches count as 'classical' or not, but anything by John Philip Souza can't be bad. :)

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
rhapsody in blue isnt that the song they used to play on the american airlines commercial. i have that song on cd. actually i am listening to it right now on cd.

Shen2187

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
Yeah it's in my classical playlist as well.