Who makes a good driveshaft CV joint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who makes a good driveshaft CV joint?

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
The CV on my front driveshaft on my 97 Mountaineer went out. (Note I'm talking driveshaft CV, NOT half shaft). I read several threads on here about people who replaced theirs with the doorman part and the boot ripped within months. The reviews on Amazon for the doorman part say the same thing. I guess the Chinese haven't mastered making rubber. I found a couple others on amazon, but the reviews say the same thing. So my question is, who makes a good one? I found this one, the price is certainly right which makes me wary. Anyone know anything about it?

As far as I could determine, Dorman was the only replacement front CV joint available when I replaced mine around 2 years ago. Seems like many places sell one, but they're made by Dorman. I don't like Dorman stuff, but often there's no other choice. My boot hasn't ripped to date. IIRC I paid around $84 on eBay and watched a YouTube video before doing the job.

Back