Who plans on waiting till MY2012?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who plans on waiting till MY2012??

1tufgt

Reaction score
City, State
Bluegrass St.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Sport Trim
Looks like MY2011 is going to be a very short build year for the Explorer. Craig from Ford confirmed that MY2012 will begin shipping this coming August. I don't foresee an changes at all from MY2011 to MY2012 besides MFT software updates or some of the recalled / problems people have been complaining about being fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm holding out for better engine choices or will be buying something else.

Sounds like the ecoboost V6 will be MY2013 at the earliest unless a miracle happens and they expedite this. Times like this I wish we had an actual Ford engine engineer (ha) who might know some details on this, not that they wouldn't be held to a non-disclosure agreement but hey, this is the internet, we're all anonymous........ right?

We've decided to wait for MY 2012. Too many electronic bugs for us, not really looking for trips to the dealer every few weeks for updates and stuff. Want to see the MFT issues worked out as well. That piece may be changed quite a bit as far as integration and capability for phones, etc...

I'm holding out for better engine choices or will be buying something else.

The only "bigger engine" ford might put in this is the 3.5L v6 with dual turbo chargers (which makes it ecoboost)... Just get this one and add a supercharger problem solved..

I don't get people who keep complaining about the engine size. It has 290 hp... that's only 2 less than the old V8... And I'm going to bet if it had that old v8 in it, you'd think it was powerful enough...

The thing does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds....

The only "bigger engine" ford might put in this is the 3.5L v6 with dual turbo chargers (which makes it ecoboost)... Just get this one and add a supercharger problem solved..

I don't get people who keep complaining about the engine size. It has 290 hp... that's only 2 less than the old V8... And I'm going to bet if it had that old v8 in it, you'd think it was powerful enough...

I agree with you to a point. Keep in mind the old V8 had some 65 more ft-lbs of torque, which on a towing SUV is pretty big. Regardless, I'll drop 65 ft-lbs for another 5 mpg seeing how I tow very little.

I agree with you to a point. Keep in mind the old V8 had some 65 more ft-lbs of torque, which on a towing SUV is pretty big. Regardless, I'll drop 65 ft-lbs for another 5 mpg seeing how I tow very little.

Yeah and if this is an issue, people can buy a supercharger and add it to their current v6... Ford isn't gonna put a v8 in this SUV... And it's gonna be a long time before they put a dual turbo charged v6 (ecoboost) because their data shows that no one really uses that...

Everyone keeps saying we want a ecoboost v6... well they can turn their current ones into that with a supercharger...

That's the one I am waiting for. It's a sweet engine and would make the Explorer a hoot to drive while still providing good fuel economy. What review has the 0-60 at 7.5 seconds? I haven't seen anything less than 8.3. The Flex with the v6 Ecoboost does it in the low 6's. It's coming to the Explorer-it's just a matter of when.

That's the one I am waiting for. It's a sweet engine and would make the Explorer a hoot to drive while still providing good fuel economy. What review has the 0-60 at 7.5 seconds? I haven't seen anything less than 8.3. The Flex with the v6 Ecoboost does it in the low 6's. It's coming to the Explorer-it's just a matter of when.

Car and Driver... their numbers are normally pretty good. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_ford_explorer_limited_4wd-road_test

There is no reason for an SUV to need to do 0-60 in low 6's... haha but I imagine it'd do it in about 6 flat maybe faster with the ecoboost...

That being said... there has to be an after market turbo or supercharger you can add onto the current 3.5L v6 to make it the same as the ecoboost...

Car and Driver... their numbers are normally pretty good. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_ford_explorer_limited_4wd-road_test

There is no reason for an SUV to need to do 0-60 in low 6's... haha but I imagine it'd do it in about 6 flat maybe faster with the ecoboost...

That being said... there has to be an after market turbo or supercharger you can add onto the current 3.5L v6 to make it the same as the ecoboost...

The reason is because others do it and there is a market for it. I know I would be on board- especially if there is not a big penalty in fuel efficiency. Of course it would have to be AWD too. As for the after market turbo or supercharger- I'd sooner get something else than void the warranty.

The reason is because others do it and there is a market for it. I know I would be on board- especially if there is not a big penalty in fuel efficiency. Of course it would have to be AWD too. As for the after market turbo or supercharger- I'd sooner get something else than void the warranty.

ProCharger just came out with a supercharger for the 3.7, it 427rwhp on 8 psi! So who knows, it might be able to work on the 3.5!

I think I've finally decided to wait until 2012 to pull the trigger. Visited 4 different dealerships in my area and was told anywhere from 6-12 weeks for a special order. That puts me probably late June/early July delivery (from what others are experiencing.) Might as well wait & order the new 2012 in July.

I would wait, but my lease is up in two weeks. I'm already having to drive my father in law's Expedition for a couple weeks. I'd hate to have to ask to drive it for 4-5 months.

If there are so many selays on the 2011 model there will be the same on 2012. It probably won't truly start shipping til thanksgiving. Plus to say that you had the first year model of the resurfaced SUV that started it all is pretty cool too.

Back