Who REALLY Knows About Brake Line Fabbing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who REALLY Knows About Brake Line Fabbing?

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing some work on a '93 Cadi Allante, and need some help/advice on brake line replacement.

The rear brake lines, consisting of a total of 5 hard lines, have completely rusted out (from the outside), and one has already busted. Pre-fabbed lines (which have been proven impossible to find) would run about $600 from the dealer. :eek: I do have a source for used lines, but his price is close to that also.

I have replaced a few brake lines in my life, but most were on older SAE vehicles, with standard fittings.................and most of these I replaced with generic length lines with fittings attached, although I have flared a few.

On to my questions. 1) According to my factory manual, "This vehicle uses only ISO flares on brake pipe connections." I am assuming this to mean that everything will use the same metric/ISO fittings? Am I correct in thinking that there is only one type of ISO fitting (per pipe size of course)? There isn't an ISO1 and ISO2 or anything right? All the lines are 3/16", so I just need to find 3/16" ISO brake line fittings right?

2) 3/16" steel brake line is just 3/16" steel brake line right? :confused: I don't need anything special because these lines use ISO fittings correct? The line is the same whether it uses standard or metric fittings?

3) Is flaring ISO "bubble" flares a difficult task? I know double-flares can be hit and miss often, is this type of flaring a little more consistant to create? Should I expect a failure rate of about 1of10, or about 1of4?

Back