who runs the swamper boggers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

who runs the swamper boggers?

I saw an awesome picture of somebody's truck on this website with some big super swamper boggers. Who owns that truck? Also, what is the low-down on this tire? Any good?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be my EB Sport that you are talking about. As of right now the only pictures of it are in the Los Coyotes write up. The Boggers are 33x14.00 on a 15x10 Centerlime rims. I like the tire for off roading but it does have some serious drawbacks. To start they didn't come from the factory round, so I had to get they trued up. Than trying to find a tire shop that could properly balance them was an issue. These tires flat spot overnight from sitting in the driveway, it takes a couple miles worth of driving for them to heat up and the ride to smooth out. They are also very heavy and wear very fast. I do have some 35x12.50 M/T for street driving but I never use them. If had to do over again I would still get the Boggers because they will grag just about any kind of terrain, oh, and I think they look killer.

I just sold my 35" Thornbirds and replaced them with a set of 35" Boggers. They seem to ride better than the Thornbirds and were easier to balance. They have a very loud growl going down the road but seem to do just fine on/off road.

I agree with Todd, my Thornbirds were all around poor performers. It took a lot of cutting to true them up, they are even heavier than the Boggers, and they don't grip near as much while off road. They did have a little better street manners but nothing worth bragging about.

Jay,

Yeah, it was your truck. I saw it in the los coyotes run pics. Thats a bad-a** rig!

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment.

Ryan,
Los Coyotes is a reservation out in the east side of San Diego County here in California. This is where the "Fun Run" took place this summer. They charge $10 for a day of wheeling which includes a night of camping. Los Coyotes offers alot of different trails, from mild to wild so everyone gets to have fun. The best part though, is that it is only about an hour and a half from my house. Normally I drive to Big Bear for the rougher trails but I have yet to find any up there that can compare to the ones out at the reservation.

I was reading the posts on this site, and I know it is an old one, but the post about the Thornbirds made me want to throw my 2 cents in. I have heard and been shown that The thornbird tires are mainly for show, and have a poor off road performance. Their knobby stance obviously is good for light off roading, but can't match up to much more conservative tires such as BFG mudders or even Co-ops. You guys probably already know this though.

------------------
Friends Don't let Friends Drive Chevys

FOX,

On this point I must disagree very strongly. I have had huge success off road with my Thornbirds. I have never been stuck because of the tires. Last week I did some very difficult trails with a friend running 33" BFG Mud Terrains and they were not enough tire. The Thornbirds took me everywhere I wanted to go while the BFGs could not take my friend the same places that I went. The Thornbirds have consistantly out performed every tire that I have seen off road that is less agressive than a Super Swamper.

Most of the people who say that Thornbirds are not good tires have

a) used them for running mud.

They work in mud but they are not Boggers or Swampers and are not the best mud tire. I have run serious mud with the Thornbirds and have never been stuck because of the limitations of the tire.

b) read too many magazine articles

I have only seen one magazine article about these tires. It mentioned almost word for word your comments but it is dead wrong.

c) have never seen them in action or not used them properly

It is easy to put down something that you know nothing about. If you dont air down any tire will suck, especially a bias ply tire because they are very stiff.

There are several people on this message board that I have run with and I am sure that they can tell you about the performance of these tires. As far as being for show, if they were for show they would be light duty. They definately are not light duty with 6 plies tread and 4 plies sidewall.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

I know you guys are Ford enthusists, and so am I (F-150), but my friend has a Y2K Jeep Wrangler Sahara, and he wants to know what what the biggest tire he can fit is without having to lift or trim. The stock wranglers are 30 inchers with I think 7 inch rims. But I am not sure. What do you guys think?

------------------
Friends Don't let Friends Drive Chevys

I will verify Paul's claim for his TSL's. I was suprised at how well they did. The far and above outperformed BFG MT's in some serious terrain. The aggressive side lugs really have good bite. The only drawback is that the center voids are not very open (not for long though, eh Paul!). I can also attest that, yes, they do ride like a lumber wagon on the road.

Cheers

Dale

ps. Paul, my Superlift kit should be in this week. I had so much truck envy that I had to speed up my plans for a lift. Plus my 33's just didn't fit up front, even for driving on the road, so right now I'm running with 33's in the rear and a friend's pair of 235's up front. Just the look I was going for!

I will verify Paul's claim for his TSL's. I was suprised at how well they did. The far and above outperformed BFG MT's in some serious terrain. The aggressive side lugs really have good bite. The only drawback is that the center voids are not very open (not for long though, eh Paul!). I can also attest that, yes, they do ride like a lumber wagon on the road.

Cheers

Dale

ps. Paul, my Superlift kit should be in this week. I had so much truck envy that I had to speed up my plans for a lift. Plus my 33's just didn't fit up front, even for driving on the road, so right now I'm running with 33's in the rear and a friend's pair of 235's up front. Just the look I was going for!

Actually Dale,

It is not the size of the voids that is the problem. It is the shape of the lugs. The lugs all have curved edges, a straight edge on the lug would give much more bite. Now that I have a set of street tires I am going to cut the Thornbirds for even better off road performance. Dead Link Removed I wonder if the will get any louder and rougher? Is it possible? Dead Link Removed

Don't worry about the truck envy because I am not going to slow down enough for you to catch up. Dead Link Removed I have more ideas grinding in my head than I let on!

Gotta love that '70s Nova with shackles, nose down, big and littles look. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Paul Gagnon
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 10-25-1999).]

Back