Who sells this Door Striker Bushing? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who sells this Door Striker Bushing?

2000 Explorer XLT 2WD 4.0L SOHC JOB1 Engine. I've searched all of the parts houses... and online... but I cannot find Door Striker Bushings for the front doors. Everyone has the "Part Number 38424" kit that contains 2 bushings that fit the rear hatch. Nobody has bushings that fit the front doors. The bushing are:
7/16” ID - 9/16” OD - 13/16” L
Who sells the? Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was what I think is called Gaffer's tape. Its just thicker and stronger duct tape that doesn't leave a residue when removed. The tape is grooved where the latch mech falls on it, but the hatch opens, closes and doesn't rattle so I would call that a working solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update - I tried 1/2" PEX tubing on my passenger doors. Its OD was too big. To shut a door, I had to slam it really hard (too hard), even with the striker adjusted outward quite a bit. Then, when the handle was pulled, the door wouldn't release. I had to yank the door open.

Thanks for the update. I measured the PEX before too and didn't try it yet, waiting to see how others did make it work. It sounds like it requires a decent amount of reduction in diameter.

BTR... Its been a few years ago since I installed the PEX bushings.... I may have "reduced" the OD some to get the PEX to "latch up" properly with just abit of effort.

Just don't remember but they are still on all 4 doors.

I cut a slit in mine to get it on the striker post and IIRC I cut an extra sliver out of the 1/2" PEX tubing, used some pliers and needle nose pliers to make it tighter I rolled up like an egg roll, a wrap or roll of foil then I install it. I left the striker post in the stock location. I havn't ever used 3/8ths PEX tubing but I might try it sometime.
Be careful though, you want to make sure the "bear claw" latch functions and latches the door.

UPDATE - Finally! Door striker bushings that fit Explorer driver and passenger front and rear doors are available! See eBay item number: 174697956969.

@BTR How would one install them?

@allmyEXes - All you need is a Torx T-50 bit and a sharpie marker. Using the sharpie marker, mark the exact location of the OEM striker. Use the T-50 bit to remove the striker assembly. Unscrew the striker bolt from the assembly so you can remove/replace the bushing. Reassemble. Reattach in the same location per the sharpie marks.

On my '93 Explorer, the side door bushings were all gone and the doors rattled like crazy going out to the deer lease. About 3 years ago, I used the white 1/2" PEX tubing on all 4 doors (not the hatch) and it tightened everything up really nice. No more rattles and all 4 doors closed so much quieter. I did not have any issues with them being hard to close or open. The PEX is still there and working fine when I sold the Explorer last month.

@allmyEXes - All you need is a Torx T-50 bit and a sharpie marker. Using the sharpie marker, mark the exact location of the OEM striker. Use the T-50 bit to remove the striker assembly. Unscrew the striker bolt from the assembly so you can remove/replace the bushing. Reassemble. Reattach in the same location per the sharpie marks.
I used a piece of masking tape along the top edge, and one along the side edge, to make sure I put it back in the exact same place.

UPDATE - Finally! Door striker bushings that fit Explorer driver and passenger front and rear doors are available! See eBay item number: 174697956969.
I got these yesterday and they work great. Nicer than the dormans I used on the back hatch.

Just ordered a set for my 99 Sport.

Great timing! Earlier this week I noticed the bushing on my '01 Sport Trac door was worn to the point of being partially gone. I remembered seeing this thread and ordered 2 pairs of bushings. They arrived today. The i.d on the ones I received was a little too small, but I used a drill to enlarge it and got the bad bushing replaced. Door closes and opens as it should now.

Been looking for my dad's 97 Ford Explorer with no luck until I stumbled upon your post. This item is STILL being sold years later. Thank you big time!

Back