• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Who sells this Door Striker Bushing?

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
It was what I think is called Gaffer's tape. Its just thicker and stronger duct tape that doesn't leave a residue when removed. The tape is grooved where the latch mech falls on it, but the hatch opens, closes and doesn't rattle so I would call that a working solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

allmyEXes

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
Callsign
KAGG 3611

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EXPLORER XLT 2WD
Update - I tried 1/2" PEX tubing on my passenger doors. Its OD was too big. To shut a door, I had to slam it really hard (too hard), even with the striker adjusted outward quite a bit. Then, when the handle was pulled, the door wouldn't release. I had to yank the door open.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Thanks for the update. I measured the PEX before too and didn't try it yet, waiting to see how others did make it work. It sounds like it requires a decent amount of reduction in diameter.

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
BTR... Its been a few years ago since I installed the PEX bushings.... I may have "reduced" the OD some to get the PEX to "latch up" properly with just abit of effort.

Just don't remember but they are still on all 4 doors.

allmyEXes

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
Callsign
KAGG 3611
I cut a slit in mine to get it on the striker post and IIRC I cut an extra sliver out of the 1/2" PEX tubing, used some pliers and needle nose pliers to make it tighter I rolled up like an egg roll, a wrap or roll of foil then I install it. I left the striker post in the stock location. I havn't ever used 3/8ths PEX tubing but I might try it sometime.
Be careful though, you want to make sure the "bear claw" latch functions and latches the door.

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EXPLORER XLT 2WD
UPDATE - Finally! Door striker bushings that fit Explorer driver and passenger front and rear doors are available! See eBay item number: 174697956969.

allmyEXes

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
Callsign
KAGG 3611
@BTR How would one install them?

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EXPLORER XLT 2WD
@allmyEXes - All you need is a Torx T-50 bit and a sharpie marker. Using the sharpie marker, mark the exact location of the OEM striker. Use the T-50 bit to remove the striker assembly. Unscrew the striker bolt from the assembly so you can remove/replace the bushing. Reassemble. Reattach in the same location per the sharpie marks.

kmack

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
On my '93 Explorer, the side door bushings were all gone and the doors rattled like crazy going out to the deer lease. About 3 years ago, I used the white 1/2" PEX tubing on all 4 doors (not the hatch) and it tightened everything up really nice. No more rattles and all 4 doors closed so much quieter. I did not have any issues with them being hard to close or open. The PEX is still there and working fine when I sold the Explorer last month.

swshawaii

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
I believe this is the first time someone sourced striker bushings that work without modification.
@BTR good find, thanks.

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
@allmyEXes - All you need is a Torx T-50 bit and a sharpie marker. Using the sharpie marker, mark the exact location of the OEM striker. Use the T-50 bit to remove the striker assembly. Unscrew the striker bolt from the assembly so you can remove/replace the bushing. Reassemble. Reattach in the same location per the sharpie marks.
I used a piece of masking tape along the top edge, and one along the side edge, to make sure I put it back in the exact same place.