Who wants to see a doubler in front of an ATLAS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who wants to see a doubler in front of an ATLAS?

Diff Whack Daddy

And the Roll Over Posse! Under the Hood Moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mount Vernon, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1st Gen XLT 4dr
Callsign
KG7VTT
I DO!!!!!!!!!!

Just made a deal to pick up a 1354 doubler that I am going to put in front of my 3.8:1 Atlas. I wi;l;l take lots of pics and let you know how my planned 166:1 crawl ratio turns out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Subscribing..:popcorn:

Sweet! Which 'brand' of doubler?

A doubler in front of an Atlas? You're doing 2.48 into 2.48 into 3.8?? Or just the 2.48 in to 3.8?

What I'd love to see is a 93-94 Chevy nv4500 with the 6.34 1 st gear into a twin stick 4:1 Dana 300 with another 4:1 doubler (or Klune-V)...but I think that might be overkill (101:1 not even counting the rear-end)

It's gonna be a 2.43 doubler in front of a 3.8 Atlas with the 700R4 tranny so I should end up with about a 166:1 crawl ratio.

Nothings gonna happen until I get it though. I am buying it from whitetrashfab. I think its a Duffy doubler. Giving him the first payment on the 1st.

I'd never trust the 25 spline shaft going into the Atlas if using 2.48:1 just by itself (IMO, 3.8:1 is gonna be your tallest reliable low range).

If you were to convert the Atlas to a 35 spline input, and then machine a stock T-case shaft to 35 spline (easy to do because of the larger diameter), that would be bad-ass. :smoke:

I'd never trust the 25 spline shaft going into the Atlas if using 2.48:1 just by itself (IMO, 3.8:1 is gonna be your tallest reliable low range).

If you were to convert the Atlas to a 35 spline input, and then machine a stock T-case shaft to 35 spline (easy to do because of the larger diameter), that would be bad-ass. :smoke:

I have been running a 25 spline into an Atlas for at least 5 years now with no problems. I have seen this doubler blow the transfer case behind it in person. I don't think the problem is going to lye in the stub shaft, but the foot that operates the go pedal.

I was referring to using the doubler in low, but the rear case (Atlas) in Hi (this puts extreme stress on that coupling shaft and every doubler maker making the 1354 units so far has always recommended against doing this). If you never use the box in Lo with the case in Hi, you should never have a problem, however having the two different low gears like that, I'd certainly want to be able to use 2.48:1 at times. ;)

Well after getting the doubler home, numerous hours laying on my back under the Ex, and about 2 weeks of serious mental masturbation, I think I finally have a plan.

The crawler box design and shape would interfere with the Atlas shifter linkage severeely, so I had to come up with a way to flip the crawler box 180 degrees to clear this. The crawler box is infinitely clockable to the transfer case, but the problem lies at the tranny side. How the hell do I turn that goofy ford 5 bolt pattern over?

It turned out to be a fairly simple solution. Since I have the 700R4 tranny, all I have to do is flip the tranny tailshaft housing over, duhhh! It's just a simple 4 bolt pattern. You can see the adapter here http://www.advanceadapters.com/downloads/50-8410.pdf

The only downside, or up in this case, is that I lose my tranny mount point as it is on the bottom uf that housing, which will be the top. That's okay though since part of this mod was to move the mount anyway as I didn't want that much weight from the crawler and the Atlas behind the mount. A ne mount will be fabricated that will capture the crawler box at both the front and rear mounting points and attached to a new crossmember.

Yay!!!! Plan in place, now it's time to get to work.

do you have a 700r4 build link? and does anyone have or know where i can get the doubler kit for the stock splodo case? As far as i know no one makes them anymore and i have all the info for making one except the shaft. Sure would love a lower ratio especially since almost all my friends have the yota doublers with gears.

do you have a 700r4 build link? and does anyone have or know where i can get the doubler kit for the stock splodo case? As far as i know no one makes them anymore and i have all the info for making one except the shaft. Sure would love a lower ratio especially since almost all my friends have the yota doublers with gears.

Duffy (DD Machine) still makes them. However, I have no idea how to get ahold of him. PM whitetrashfab, he knows how to get in touch with him.

I don't have a build thread for the 700R4 as it was done at Advance Adapters, my truck was the R&D vehicle for the kit, but it's pretty simple as it was designed to be a direct bolt in application.

Duffy is local to me...he lives about 10 minutes from me....and yes, he is VERY difficult to get ahold of...

Thanks alot, i should have bougth them when they were hot! I have the other t case. But with the rockwell build and everything else i dont want to tear it apart until i have a full set up of cases to build. Spdrcr34 any way you can get ahold of him? BTW DWD,sorry not trying to still you thread.:salute: And diff whack daddy i think your:thumbsup: triple t case is sick ive only seen one other and that was a guy on the old pirate video. :thumbsup: Ive told my buds from the slick rock punks crew and are all hyped up about it. great thread

Also guys i lived in Oak Harbor for about 2 years, i loved the area. Loggin roads for sure! I use to take prisoners to Bremerton all the time.

Hey diff whack your new name is the sloth:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, clocking the crawler box 180 degrees did not work. it would have put a section of the box inside the truck on the rear passenger floor. I ended up clocking the t-case a little closer to flat and grinding some extra aluminum off the crawler box mounting plates to clear the Atlas shifter linkage.

Now I need to either extend the Atlas shifter linkage 6.5" (cheapest) or switch to a cable shifter (coolest). I will also need to do a little sheet metal persuasion under neath just in front of the gas tank to clear the Atlas and then design and build a beefy combo mount/skid plate.

Attachments

• IMG_20120415_174407.jpg
    IMG_20120415_174407.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_20120415_174354.jpg
    IMG_20120415_174354.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 903

Back