Whoa dang, 1,5,8 cylinder misfire and no CEL... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whoa dang, 1,5,8 cylinder misfire and no CEL...

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Okay, so here in central Florida we've had the privilege of TS Debby's company the last few days. As I'm not *quite* stupid enough to drive in really bad weather, my rig has been in the driveway since Friday. I hopped in to run to a friends and pull a tree out of her yard and it started shaking like Michael J. Fox with a flashing CEL. I did a visual inspection and didn't see/hear anything wrong (aside from the shaking). After a 2 min. drive to Advance Auto I pulled these codes:

B1676 Body code
C1155 ABS code
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0308 Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected
P0316 Engine Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)
P0452 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input
P1450 Inability of Evaporative Emission Control System to Bleed Fuel Tank

I knew about the body, ABS and evap. codes already. The misfire codes are what have me confused.

I had them clear all the codes for me and after the drive home with all the shaking, I got no CEL. From what I can tell there are no vacuum leaks, and it doesn't even come close to stalling out. It's almost as if it's not getting enough air or has water in the intake. From what I can tell it's dry AND, with 3 cylinders supposedly misfiring, should it even be running? I'm pretty stumped. It's dead slow to accelerate and my exhaust sounds really poppy. Any Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump for anybody???

Well, I would start with easy stuff. pull the coils and check to see if there is any water in the plug tubes. Also pull and check the spark plugs. Start with easy stuff. with all those code it is possible of a wiring problem. maybe a loose and poor ground effecting the evap and and coils or injectors. you could also swap coils with cylinders that are not showing misfires to see which cylinders set codes again.

in order I would check: plugs, coils and coil boots, check for vacuum leaks, if possible check for fuel injector pulses and spark output from the coils on the affected cylinders, swap fuel injectors between 1,5&8 and any other three cyls to see if the miss moves. When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? If nothing is found here you may need to do a compression and cylinder leak down test to make sure the engine is mechanicall sound.

Hope these idea help.

Ditto on water in the spark plug holes. That was my problem giving me misfire codes.

Did you ever solve your problem?

The misfires stopped on their own. I am however doing a full tuneup next week and I'll be using plenty of dielectric grease...

Back