whobling, whining noise>>>>>>>>>>> | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whobling, whining noise>>>>>>>>>>>

riverst

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
My Subs and my door speakers is making a whobling noise when I change tracks and when I mute the sound from the HU. Also when I press on the gas pedal I hear a whining noise. Sound like the engine or alternator spinning through the speakers. I ran out of ideas on what I can do to fix the problem. I pray someone can help me because this noise is driving me crazy.
My system: Eclipse 5454 HU, 2 JLw3 10", RF 8002 and 4004 amps, RF .5f cap, Power acoustic 1.2f cap. RF punch RCA's to 4004 amp, ? brand RCA's to subs. 4awg to dis block-then 8awg to amps. 4awg ground from amps and caps. (Should I connect all the ground wires to the same point via dis block.) Also, should i ground the HU to the battery or firewall?
My power and ground wire are ran on opposite side of the truck. The only spot they cross is at the amp and the caps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your RCA's are picking up road noise, that is where the whining is coming from..

time to buy a noise filter or 2

Maybe thats it. Ill reroute my RCAs and see if that helps. The noise filter- I had 2 of those before in the past and it didnt do jack, so i took it back.
Do I need to ground the Head Unit? If so, how do I ground it. Do i disconnect the ground that is on the harness and run a new wire to a spot on the firewall.

Also...be sure you grount the "Big Three" under the hood...do a search...you'll see what I mean.

Jordan23

are your RCAs ran on the same side as the 4 awg? That could be a problem. Also, how long is your ground. A ground shouldn't be more than 6 inches from the amp. Possibly bump up to some better RCAs or find a decent size magnet and loop your 4 awg around it. It'll help close any ground loops.

I fixed the problem. I had my speakers wires from the driver side front speakers ran with the 4awg power wire to the amp in the rear. I rewired the speaker wires to the right side with the rca's. I also added star washers to my ground locations. Thanks for all the help.

PS: Do a ported box produce more bass that a sealed box. The reason I ask is because my friend has 1 orion 10 in this big ported box and his woofers sound alot better than the 2 JL w3 10's i have in a sealed box. What set up do yall have.

Yes, ported will produce more bass...in theory that is. I have 2 15" Fosgate Punch HE2's in a custom ported box tuned to 35HZ pushed by a Fosgate Punch 800a2 that puts out 1050 Watts and it hits hard...I think it was 150.3 DB's whenever I got it installed...I forget which meter it was, and I can't seem to find my papers right off...

Thanks for the advice. Im looking at buying the JL High output box. The one that has the subs facing each other in a V shape and the red carpet inside. Any one know how much the box cost.

ground loop

Go to Wal Mart or Radio Shack and purchase a ground loop isolator ($15). The unit is essentially a transformer with rca plugs on each end. Connect the isolator between the head unit and your amp. If you have more than one amp, your need an isolator for each.

Back