whoever invented inflatable belts needs to be tarred and feathered | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whoever invented inflatable belts needs to be tarred and feathered

Seriously, this is the stupidest idea ever.

Try installing a high back booster seat with an inflatable belt. It doesn't fit through the damn slot in the booster seat.

Plus, all the major manufacturers don't recommend using an inflatable belt with their seats because no one know what kind of effect it will have on the seat if it deploys.

This car finds a new way to piss me off every day.

Umm... I use a high back booster with the inflatable belts every day. I use a Graco high back and the inflatable portion does fit through the slot, it just doesn't slide very easily, so that's why I buckle first, then loop the thin part through the slot.

My seat:
2013-03-04_22-32-13_373.jpg

Step 1, buckle the seat without going through the slot (normally a child would be in the seat).
2013-03-04_22-32-48_337.jpg

Step 2, thread the thin portion (visible in step 1's picture to the right of the tag that says "inflatable belt") through the slot:
2013-03-04_22-33-15_111.jpg

Done:
2013-03-04_22-33-28_600.jpg

Takes all of 10 seconds.

here's the link on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Highback-TurboBooster-Seat-Spitfire/dp/B004GEC8LU

$50.00 - not too bad.

And here's the awesome part. My kids will be better protected if they're in an accident because of these belts. It's actually going to improve their chances of not being injured. I for one think it's worth the extra second or two it takes to properly fasten them in with these belts given the safety benefits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll take a picture of my setup later. Its a Diono Monterey, one of the best high back boosters on the market. I shouldnt have to buy a different seat to work with the car.

cute-puppies-pic.jpg

I'll take a picture of my setup later. Its a Diono Monterey, one of the best high back boosters on the market. I shouldnt have to buy a different seat to work with the car.

Look at the first review on Amazon. Same problem reported by someone without the inflatable belts. It seems your carseat is the problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Monterey-Booster-Seat-Shadow/dp/B005MQRE0Q

from the first review
"The new upper seat belt guide design makes for a sleek, understated appearance (which I love), but I question whether it actually works. Since I ended up returning both seats due to quality issues, I only had the opportunity to briefly install the new model. What I noticed was that the upper guide is actually obstructed by the head cushioning. Additionally, it is very narrow and appears to sit back much farther/deeper on the head rest, so the belt doesn't glide smoothly. I found that the seat belt would either not retract (due to rubbing on the cushion + the narrow track), or it would quickly come out of the track. As any parent knows, having a seat belt that doesn't retract when your child leans forward is almost like not having them restrained at all!"

And two reviews down:
"I should have heeded the warning of other reviews that stated the seat belt guide does not function as it should. When it was "Sunshine Kids" the guide worked flawlessly. The new design if the seat belt doesn't wrinkle and bind, it comes out of the guide altogether. When it wrinkles and binds, it's enough to stop the seat belt from retracting."

I know you've had a bad experience with the Ex, harlenm, but sometimes it's not Ford's fault.

I'm unhappy, OK. Is it that hard to understand. Every day I come across something that pisses me off, be it with this car or with life in general. And I vent about it. Its much easier to vent here. Sorry, I retract my previous comments and will request this thread be deleted.

I figured out the problem, and it is the seat, an extra piece of fabric blocking the belt from retracting properly. Move that piece of fabric out of the way and it retracts fine.

Mar_5_2013_742_zpsd268bab8.jpg

I can understand your frustration and all, but try and keep an open mind. (I know it's hard - we've all been there - when your dissatisfied with the vehicle its hard not to get angry at it)

Let's leave the thread in case someone with your car seat has the same problem.

I'll even replace my post with a picture of puppies. :)

*sigh* - you've gotta come up with something more calming than puppies.

Agreed. The dog crate that fit in my Mercury Mariner does not fit through the back of my Ex. I moved up two vehicle sizes, but I had to spend nearly $100 for a new crate and my poor puppy dog had to give up several inches of headroom. He's a Great Pyrenees and takes this very seriously. My faithful companion and I are outraged. :)

I was going to post this:

P1010067.jpg

But I doubt it would have made it up the hill, with or without a dog in the back... :D

Glad you found the problem and you didnt even have to get the dremel out...)

Hi everyone,

If you have thoughts on new designs or features you'd like to see on future models, I suggest that you post them to the "Your Ideas" tab of http://social.ford.com. Once it appears on the site, share the link with your family and friends so they can vote on it. We review ideas daily.

Crystal

Glad you found the problem and you didnt even have to get the dremel out...)

It still binds slightly, and I have to use it on the drivers side, the passenger side doesn't work because the buckle is slightly higher, resulting in more slack in the belt.

Honestly, I think the inflatable belts need to be a standalone option like they are in the Flex. As nice as I think it would have been to have BLIS in my Explorer I chose the spotter mirrors (which I'm not a big fan of either) because I absolutely cannot stand the inflatable belts..buckle is way to big for my liking.

Honestly, I think the inflatable belts need to be a standalone option like they are in the Flex. As nice as I think it would have been to have BLIS in my Explorer I chose the spotter mirrors (which I'm not a big fan of either) because I absolutely cannot stand the inflatable belts..buckle is way to big for my liking.

I don't sit back there so I could care less but my kids (11, 9, and 5) like the inflatable belts, they say it is easier to buckle than my 07 Fusion or any of the other cars they have been in. I honestly have not sat back there and tried to use them.

MY 6 year still can't buckle the inflatable seatbelt in the 2013 Explorer when he is in the booster, but had no problems in the 2010 Fusion or 2011 Explorer.

Aren't Mercedes trying to introduce inflatable belts too? I think they have a great idea doing this inflatable belt. It can really save an old person in a crash since their bones are so weak...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And they lived happily ever after. Thread closed..........

Back