WHOO HOO! Oil change! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WHOO HOO! Oil change!

mctoy

Reaction score
Just did the first oil change (For me) on my '03 sport. Put the Fumoto oil valve on it, (I have the 'side discharge') and that thing is really gonna pay for itself in the future! I used about a half roll of paper towels cleaning everything up! :rolleyes: Put in Mobil1 5-30 synth, Pure one filter and will do the Diff. with synthetic this week also. Anyone know how the Motorcraft filters test against Mobil1 or Pure one? I like the last two, but if I can save 3 bucks.... :thumbsup: I did see that it has the anti-drainback valve on it, but wonder about the efficiency of it. Also, as this was the first time I've spent any real time under the truck, I noticed that the entire underside of the body is covered in foil-backed sound/heat proofing material. Are all the late models like this? Thoughts about adding any spray on undercoating? (More'so for noise) I'm officially in the 'Mature' (Old fart-BBQ_HOTDOGS ;) ) group now and don't want a race truck, but rather a quiet-reliable one. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you've got undercoating already. And regarding the filters, stick with Motorcraft. Its the same filter as your Purolator one for half the price. For more info, check this page, you should not need more info then this:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Nah I know what he's talking about. It's some paneling type stuff with peel and seel on it that covers the floor boards and so forth. One thing I don't like is there's holes in where tubes run through it, and it's not sealed to the body so water and salt and road grime can get down in the holes and cause rusting.

Exactly,
That is what I was thinking about also. The stuff resembles Dynamat, but like you say it appears that the holes would be 'water traps'....I want to see about sealing/sound deadening the wheel wells and inner plastic pieces as well.

such language!

where are on earth did you pick up that ex language LOL LOL. Dang girl, I AM impressed. I still use the ole stanbys: thingie and whateveritscalled. Does your husband speak your language?
AND btw... at our age (I just turnt 46) we're not ready for the recliner just yet! Besides, if you're gonna walk the Walk, you gotta have the energy and mindset to do so :)
It is nice to be in the company of a sistuh!
have a good night!
nancy

I would get it undercoated. Anyplace where you get road salt, you should have undercoating, if you don't want your truck to rust away.

I oughtta clarify that MCTOY is male... my bad!

For filters, I would use the fowlling ( in order ):

(1) Amsoil
(2) K & N
(3) Mobil 1

about noise... I bought my truck with a hood deflector attached but the corner was cracked. I took it off after 2 weeks cos it impeded my hood opening. I didnt realize it helped deaden the noise till it was gone. I have to get another one! I did put on window vent shades and they help some.

Now THAT might be worth loosing a MPG or so.....Al?
PS: BC4G....But I am in touch with my female side.... ;)

mctoy said:
Now THAT might be worth loosing a MPG or so.....Al?
PS: BC4G....Bit I am in touch with my female side.... ;)

Those hood deflectors ( in my case ) definitely hurt mileage and made no difference in noise level.

Back