• Register Today It's free!

Whoosh Whoosh

BYE2UK

Reaction score
City, State
Canmore AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sportrac 4.0 XLT
Hi all. I have owned a 2004 4.0 sportrac XLT for 2 years and have had a problem with a whoosh whoosh sort of noise comming from the front it increases and decreases with speed changes it also gets quieter as the suspension rise's and louder as suspension compresses after many wheel rotations and wheel balances even new ball joints, there is no change, also both front tires are wearing badly on the insides.:(

I find it strange that the front is only riding on shocks.

Would it be possible to fit coil springs?

applpilot@hotmail.com

Thanks for reading this Martin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These trucks use torsion bars that act as the spring. I don't know much about the suspension, but If you've tried all that maybe the torsion bars are wearing out?

Thanks XPTB

Thanks for that i will have them checked out.

Maybe the shocks are bad. Rock the truck from side to side if it rocks more then 3 times after you stop doing it then the shocks are bad. Tortion bars don't wear out.

should get an alignment anyways for the tire wear, and make sure the torsion bars aren't adjusted out of spec (i.e. twisted up or down to modify ride height).

For torsion bar wear - it's probably more to look at the bushings that hold the system together.

Throw some lube on the bushing, maybe it'll quieten the suspension system down.

Thanks bdmaash and clusterpup

Tried rocking the truck, rocked four and a half times after I stopped, as for the suspension noise the noise is not in my opinion from the suspension it is more like the drive line somewhere as it is a sort of rumble, there is also a very very slight vibration bit like a tingle you can feel through the steering wheel, the pedals and the seats, as for the tire wear as both fronts are wearing on the insides that suggests to me that the toe in or toe out is out of line?

Thanks Guys going to the shop tomorrow for yet another check over
will keep you posted

BYE2UK:salute:

Maybe the rumbling noise is your bearings. I have to replace mine this morning in fact cause one went bad. I couldn't figure out what it was until it got really bad because it was a new sound for me. Sounds like you also need to replace your shocks though. I removed my stock shocks and installed rancho rs5000 series, made the truck ride much nicer.

Well new shocks are needed plus a new ball joint that will cure tire wear.

But the Transfer case is shot need a new one the shop quoted me 2000 canadian dollars for new or 900 for a second hand one out of a truck with 75000kms on it, not keen on second hand parts, so I believe the part no is 3124AB for a new one anybody give me a clue where to get one

Wow man, that sucks about the transfer case. pretty pricey. I would get a used one.

Do you use the 4x4 on dry road?

Use 4x4 on loose gravel roads now and then
Can not make the wife feel safe in 2 wheel ha ha.
I used to drive rally cars back in the UK :D

I used to drive rally cars back in the UK :D

Cool. I from across the pond originally myself, moved to the US in 87 from Dublin Ireland, was 14 at the time.

Whoosh Whoosh sorted

Well got the truck back from the shop all the whoosh whoosh and rumbling noises are gone, got a transfer case out of a crashed truck also had new uprated shocks put on and a new ball joint so that should cure the uneven tire wear but it will take time to check that out, it drives like a dream now all tight and precise just like new. :D

Good to hear you got it all sorted

Back