whos got the best switch mounting spot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whos got the best switch mounting spot

Who has got the best place that they mounted their switch for aux. lights.
on my 92 xlt i put mine in the change flip up, i took out the quarter spot...made it a bit bigger and stuck my switch in there, i put a little black silicone to hold it in.
everyone that sees it is like damn thats cool...because its got the breadbox flip up cover on it...so i flip up the cover and no one sees the switch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my '92, I had lighted rocker switches mounted in the front of the console. You couldn't see them, but if you put your hand on the front of the console, they were easy to use. On my '01, I currently have a dual plate with 2 lighted rockers mounted to the bottom of the dash directly below the ashtray (I have the short console). I'm thinking about putting them in the ashtray since smoking is prohibited in my vehicle :smoke:

I am going to try to make an overhead console like the Shelf-it things but it would go up to the ceiling and all the way to the fromt. I am a firefighter ahve have switched for all my stobe lights and suck plus switches for AUX. lights. I plan on mounting the switches, and some gauges up on this console i am making, then getting some of the same fabric that is on the roof of the Explorer and covering the console with that so it looks nice.

David larson

i mounted some black rocker switches on that plastic panel that surrounds the bottom part of thedash where the steering wheel is. the swtitches are mounted on either side fo the steering column. looks factory. when my freind bought his 95 x he was gettin mad askin me why ford stop putting those little auxiliry switches by the steering column like mine had, i told him i installed them myself and he said he could have sworn they were factory

Bill, I like the setup you have for the switches under the climate controls, my switch looks very similar to yours and I want mine in that location. Did you run into anything installing them? Or did you not drill them into it? Thanks alot,

Grant

Here's my setup

Dead Link Removed

I DO / I WILL !

Ok hopefully soon! I think the best place is to mount them in the .....................

Overhead console! In the place for the Garage Door Opener. It would look very clean, very functional. I just can't find one here! Or anywhere.
My second best place will be on my soon to be installed Center Console Extention.
Oh yea I don't have lights yet either !
Waiting till the end of Sept. Don't know if I'll have a Job! If I do Yahoo, PIAA's Are a coming my way!

Dead Link Removed

The wires and everything are kinda a mess right now. I've going to rerun alot of them once I get another set of lights. I got the box from galls.com and the only problems I've had is loosing one of the covers and having to upgrade the switchs.

Alto,
I like the way you think. I just installed an overhead console in my truck and I put the switch for my PIAA 1500s where the garage opener would go. All I do is press the GARAGE button and my driving lights come on. Works great, and best of all, the switch isn't cluttering up my dash.

Here are my switches, I used the eq slot in the dash kit when I installed my stereo.

Click the picture to see a larger one.

my my my, what nice switch setups you all have, makes me jealous :). Mine are just kind of anywhere I could find room! LOL.
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

In my F-150 I wired my lights differently so I have the same amount of lights, but only three switches. The lights ont he roof are one switch, the lights on the brushguard are one switch, the driving lights in the small part of the airdam are one switch, and the fogs on the outside of the airdam are controlled by the factory fog light switch.

anyone try mounting switches on the A-pillar? they could be combined with a cop-style spotlight from galls.com and a gauge pod from truckperformance.com

or is that too "ricey"?

just a thought, i don't have anything that needs a switch yet... YET.

Originally posted by fixer
anyone try mounting switches on the A-pillar? they could be combined with a cop-style spotlight from galls.com and a gauge pod from truckperformance.com

or is that too "ricey"?

just a thought, i don't have anything that needs a switch yet... YET.

i kinda did that, i have my switches mounted around my steering column, but i built a little box with different color indicator lights that is mouned on my dash where it meets the a pillar, ill post a pic in a little while

Ok, this first pic is a kill swtich i have for all my neons.

It is a 10 amp push swtich, and i drilled a little hole to put a LED in to show me when its on or not.

Dead Link Removed

THis other pic shows my 5 lit swtiches...they are on the passanger side of my car. Not the best location, but the deepst place to put lit swtiches in my car (96)...also, i was just stupid when i put those in about a year ago (totaly newbie).

Dead Link Removed

Lets see, i also have 3 metal throw swtiches by my feet (right foot...below center console kinda)...two by stearing wheel, three in glove compartment :)

Carl

I mounted my switches in the door, above the the window and door lock controls. There is a flat spot there that was empty, and was just asking for something to go there.

I DO

How else can you mount 8 switches and still make it look good?:D I took a Shelf-It shelf organizer which mounts between your roof and visors and cut a slot out in the middle for the switches. I took a piece of annodized aluminum that was cut slightly larger than the slot in the shelf, drilled holes in the aluminum for the switches, and mounted the aluminum/switches to the shelf. One, I think the black aluminum looks killer against the grey shelf. The switches definitely stand out. Two, the fit between the shelf and roof is pretty tight against the roof, so mounting the switches to the aluminum gave me a way to remove the switches for maintenance if necessary without having to drop the whole shelf.

I need some better pics, but you should get the idea:

switch2.gif

switch3.gif

switch4.gif

By the way, this is a Ranger not X FYI.

i don't think my other link worked...maybe this one will
Img16.jpg

if not i'll try later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by arsoul
I mounted my switches in the door, above the the window and door lock controls. There is a flat spot there that was empty, and was just asking for something to go there.

that's where the control for the mirrors is, if you have that option.

Back