Who's installed cat back system on SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who's installed cat back system on SOHC?

CaptKirk

Reaction score
City, State
Bay, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Just got my Christmas present! A brand new S.S. Gibson cat back from the wife!
I have the '97 SOHC dual in single out muffler. Question is, how difficult is it to install this? Seems like the tough part would be removing the original slip on side.
Can anyone give me some advice on this? Or is it worth 50-75 bucks to have Tuffy install it?
Thanks! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have someone install it. The old rusty parts can be a ***** to get off and they can weld the new one.

Good luck....

ahh do it urself its easy

CaptKirk said:
Just got my Christmas present! A brand new S.S. Gibson cat back from the wife!
I have the '97 SOHC dual in single out muffler. Question is, how difficult is it to install this? Seems like the tough part would be removing the original slip on side.
Can anyone give me some advice on this? Or is it worth 50-75 bucks to have Tuffy install it?
Thanks! :D

sorry this is a bit off topic, what gibson did you get, product number wise, i've been looking at a cat-back from gibson a while now...want some pics wants its done also... :thumbsup:

The part number is 619687. That is for the S.S. I will get some pics after then install.
Thats what I was worried about, the rust. I can use the sawsall on it, but wouldn't know what to do with the slip on connection.
Also, this system is made as a bolt on. Would it be better to have it welded? Seems like if you would have to replace something, welding it would make it a lot tougher to do.

well the only problem with welding the system is that if u have an aluminized muffler u actually do more harm to it then good. because when they weld the pipes to the muffler it actually melts the aluminizing off, clamps are adequate, they've come a long way from the older style clamps. Hope it goes well for you and thanks for that part number, i just wanted to see which one u got and such...

:confused:
i thought the 4doors had single in/single out mufflers and just us "sports" got stuck with the dual in/single out things

sk1er17 said:
:confused:
i thought the 4doors had single in/single out mufflers and just us "sports" got stuck with the dual in/single out things

nope, i believe all of the explorers with the sohc have dual in single out...the last time i checked, regardless of 2/4 doors

frickea86 said:
nope, i believe all of the explorers with the sohc have dual in single out...the last time i checked, regardless of 2/4 doors

My 4 door '99 had the dual in single out..

Attachments

• 81901869.gif
    81901869.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 144

Nope the '97 SOHC's have the the dual in dual out. They may have changed it on later models.
Oh, frickea86 go to "power-usa.com" if you decide to go with the Gibson. They are great! Do NOT use "performancecenter.com" they SUCK! Gibson recommended "power-usa"

CaptKirk said:
Nope the '97 SOHC's have the the dual in dual out.

Why would they have a dual "out" with a single exhaust pipe?

just do it yourself and if it leaks then get it welded

Sorry, I was on the phone when I typed that. It is dual in and SINGLE out.
And, not worried about it leaking, the system is designed to be bolted on. I am concerned with getting the old one off the truck.

Back