who's mounted amps in their sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

who's mounted amps in their sport?

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
guys, i need a place to mount my amp(s) in my 98 sport. for a while im only gonna have one (my sub amp) until i get some more greenbacks together to get my door speakers and the amp for those. so where should i mount it (them)? i want a stealth install. im going with the q-logic stealth box, and i want the amp somewhere hidden.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about behind the rear interior panel? I don't know how much room is there in a Sport though :confused: Under the seats?

Mine isn't stealth, but it looks good. It might be cool if you got 2 matching ones, one on each side. Don't mind the white wire, it's hidden now.

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 285

Mines just mounted on the back of the rear seats. It's hidden when you pull the cover over it.

I mounted my RF Amp right where the stock amp was. I also have the Stealth box, & have an aftermarket radio. I didn't need the stock amp, so out it went, The RF amp is mounted on the passanger wheel well behind the trim panel. Totaly stealth.

I like under seat mounting for the amp.

If you mount it on the back of rear seats, you begate a lot of usefullness in the rear compartment, plus its visible,

Let us know what you decide.

Originally posted by Jason94sport
I mounted my RF Amp right where the stock amp was. I also have the Stealth box, & have an aftermarket radio. I didn't need the stock amp, so out it went, The RF amp is mounted on the passanger wheel well behind the trim panel. Totaly stealth.

im liking the sound of this. when you mounted it here, are there any cooling issues? it seems like its kinda trapped back there, though i do like that location.

i was thinking under the seats, but i dont know how itll work it out. also, i dont wanna mount it on the back of the seats because what do i do when i have to put the seats down to put something big in my truck and theres an amp there? putting it in the stock storage cubby is no good either because thats where my q-logic box is going.

Under the seat gets no air circulation...If you start pushing that amp hard...it will overheat.

I'm with Alec

I originally got the idea from Alec, and mounted my two amps opposite each other on those panels. It looks really good, and you'd have to look down through the small rear seat window to see them. I pondered over where to mount mine forever, then decided to go that route and I'm glad I did. I'll get pics in a couple of days if ya want to see it. Of course, all this is dependent on their size... if they're over 11 inches wide (approximately) it won't fit too well/easily. If less than that, I'd recommend this position. Hope this helps.

--Matt

Cool, Matt.

Another thing about that location is that it's very easy to hide all the wiring. The rear seat does brush the amp when it's folded down, but heat isn't an issue at all.

question about mounting the amp under the back seat. would there be any contat between the amp and the seat when i put the seats down? i know some guys took their seats apart and made custom brackets to put the amp on the bottom of the seat, but i think id rather just mount it to the floor underneath the seat.

thanks.

I mounted mine to the bottom of the seats. Unless your amp is small, the big problem with mounting it to the floor is that it will stick out into the foot area.

Another problem is that if you mount it as far back as you can, the seat frame will hit it when the seat folds down. You can mount it further forward to keep the seat from hitting it, but it sticks WAY out into the foot area.

As for the area under the seats in general, if you can get amps to fit there, it's just as good of area as any other. With your windows up while you're driving there isn't "airflow" ANYWHERE in the EX unless you mount it where an A/C vent can point to it. Speaking of that, there is an A/C vent in the back of the console that you can point towards the floor which would provide some flow. But the point is, your amp is NOT going to burn up if you mount it under the seats. As long as you have sufficient air "space" around the cooling fins you will be fine.

Originally posted by KMac
I mounted mine to the bottom of the seats. Unless your amp is small, the big problem with mounting it to the floor is that it will stick out into the foot area.

Another problem is that if you mount it as far back as you can, the seat frame will hit it when the seat folds down. You can mount it further forward to keep the seat from hitting it, but it sticks WAY out into the foot area.

As for the area under the seats in general, if you can get amps to fit there, it's just as good of area as any other. With your windows up while you're driving there isn't "airflow" ANYWHERE in the EX unless you mount it where an A/C vent can point to it. Speaking of that, there is an A/C vent in the back of the console that you can point towards the floor which would provide some flow. But the point is, your amp is NOT going to burn up if you mount it under the seats. As long as you have sufficient air "space" around the cooling fins you will be fine.

well, the amp im going with is really small, so it should be ok under there, but your theory on "airflow" isnt really accurate. you see, because of density differentials, heat rises. you put an amp under the seat, the seat doesnt let the heat go up. now obvisouly itll get it out from the sides, but you get the point - its not the same as putting the amp out in an open space. also, just because the windows are closed doesnt mean theres no airflow, it just means theres no air coming in through the windows. where theres air, theres air flow.

tarheel, good idea, but thats where my sub is going :p

What kind of small amp puts out enough heat to heat the underside of the seats so much that the amp will burn up?

well, i dont know enough to know what size amp is optimal for underseat mounting, but i was just generally speaking; amps put out heat, heat rises, the seat will trap it. its not a matter of how much will it take to burn up an amp, its a matter of electronics feeling at home in a cool environment, and when you take away that cool environment, they wont perform optimally or wont last as long. now, by the time my amp decides to die, itll probably be working for its 2nd or 3rd owner, but maybe not. heat getting trapped isnt my biggest worry. on the floor under the seat is fine by me - its not like im putting it in a unventilated confined area where the heat cant escape (hypotheitically speaking - there are plenty of spots on explorers where i wouldnt want to mount an amp that arent necessarily like the spot i just exaggerated.)

Mount them behind the interior pannels like I did. That way they are totally hidden and clean. Do the stealth box too. Check out my signature to see the pics of the finished product.

KEEP IT CLEAN!

Originally posted by Black Magic
Mount them behind the interior pannels like I did. That way they are totally hidden and clean. Do the stealth box too. Check out my signature to see the pics of the finished product.

KEEP IT CLEAN!

first of all, that first pic of your truck with the rims on it is crazy! looks awesome :D

secondly, i cant see any pics of where you mounted your amp(s). im sure once i get the panel off to install the stealth box, i can find a place for it, but i wouldnt complain if you decribed it a little ;)

I have had no problems with heat with my amp mounted behind the panel. I was also concerned, but after almost a year, & haven't had any issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back