why 15 inch vs. 16 inch tires cost difference? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

why 15 inch vs. 16 inch tires cost difference?

Bored_2wd

Reaction score
City, State
Westmont, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger
Why would bfg all terrains for 15 inch wheels be so cheaper than the 16 inch versions? I'm talking 33 inch tires (33x12.5.r15) for $149. 285x75r16 are $195. These are narrower, too! Why the price differences? Oh how I miss my 325x60xr15's that were on my ranger. Anybody have a pic of a sport trac with similar tires?
--Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the difference in price is because they make 16" LT tires to have a higher load rating, to work on 3/4 ton trucks.

I agree totally with Evan and RangerX; those are steep prices and can easily be bested by shopping around... I think most 16" tires are D rated. So as was already said; a stiffer sidewall and higher load ballancing for heavy payloads.

I got rid of my OEM wheels/tires and got 15x8's with 32x11.50 BFG AT's for a steal... (personally I wasn't too happy with the AT/KO's, especially in snow) now I'm on my second set of 32's and I wheel enough that I really wanted a little more height and I don't want the weight and added lift issues that 12.50's would require so I just bought an OEM set of 16x7's to put 285 75's on (mainly because BFG is almost the only maker of streetable AT's in 33x9.50 or 33x10.50s the choice was easy to go back to 16's to run 285's). An ~ 11.5" wide tire seems to fit the sport trac perfectly with minimal lift or trimming required. :thumbsup:

Since I'm planning on getting the 285's in Pro Comp AT's... I'm buying them through a carrier on ebay for about $150 ea AFTER shipping ($590 for 4 shipped). It just depends on your preference of make and how much you're willing to shop around.... of course I will need to source a full size spare :D :p:

Alright, now you're talking! Where are you getting that price shipped? I'm up for an ebay purchase, no problem!
--bob

There are a lot of P-rated 16's. I don't know why they cost more except that maybe there is less selection and you either have to buy them or get new rims.

I'm talking 33 inch tires (33x12.5.r15) for $149. 285x75r16 are $195.
A 305/70-16 is closer in actual size to a 33x12.50-15 and you will see an even bigger price difference.

Alright, now you're talking! Where are you getting that price shipped? I'm up for an ebay purchase, no problem!
--bob

As far as I know they'll ship to anywhere in the lower 48 (CONUS)... for $40 (ie. $550 for the 285's and + $40 shipping).

15 inch tires are cheaper because that's been the most common wheel size for quite a while. bigger wheels only lately became the rage, and tire manufacturers have to retool for different bead sizes, whereas the rest of the tire is more readily produced at a reasonable cost. i'm no super genius though, i have a buddy who works for goodyear........

Doug,
"As far as I know they'll ship to anywhere in the lower 48 (CONUS)... for $40 (ie. $550 for the 285's and + $40 shipping)."
Who are you referring to? I'm trying to find anyone on ebay that has that price or close to it, can't find anyone. Who are you going through?
Thanks!

--Bob

Doug,
"As far as I know they'll ship to anywhere in the lower 48 (CONUS)... for $40 (ie. $550 for the 285's and + $40 shipping)."
Who are you referring to? I'm trying to find anyone on ebay that has that price or close to it, can't find anyone. Who are you going through?
Thanks!

--Bob

Bob, here you go man... I hope this works;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-PR...003QQitemZ130144819109QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

or,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-PR...003QQitemZ130146720514QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

or, Mud's for $25 more (total!! :thumbsup: )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NE...003QQitemZ130146882989QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This company has ongoing auctions on ebay, so if you miss one, just be patient and another should be up eventually.

Dude... you're up late Evan. :D
These prices seem like a much better deal than I've found elsewhere online.

Speaking of D rings... I need to get one of those hitch insert set-ups....

To reference an earlier reason as to why 16's are more than 15's; 16" wheels have been standard or low options on trucks since at least '00, as my sport trac came with 16's. I believe the engineering reasoning and time reasons as to why they are more expensive but I think it's more economics and sizing reason.
Given modern computer simulation and design, I think much of the design and engineering costs have been removed... but 16" wheels don't seem to have 25+ years of wheels (and thus 4-wheelin' types) floating around out there.

Back