Why are chevy small blocks so popular for swaps? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Why are chevy small blocks so popular for swaps?

Mando

Reaction score
City, State
Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992, 2-door Explorer XL
I read some car craft magazines this weekend and noticed that chevy small block engines are a very popular swap, regardless of the vehicle manufacturer. They were chevy engines in fords and mopars as well as in GM products, and I even read phrases like "the trend of swapping a chevy engine in everything that has four wheels..."

Why is this? Are they cheaper? Easier fit?

WHY?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Exploder99

Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 VW GTi VR6
im guessing its b/c....

have you ever seen how many parts there are for that thing? and who has em? uhh, everyone. since that happens to be the one of the most common american engines (that and the ford 302) since everyone is using them, they already figured out how to tune them to their max potential. they know what works and what works well.

<

Mando

Reaction score
City, State
Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992, 2-door Explorer XL
Thank you guys!

Mando

<

R

rock883

And yes they are pretty cheap, in the latest issue of Peterson's 4wheel & offroad, they have a section for things you can do to your 4x4 for less than $200, well it was slightly more than $2000, I htink it was $2050 or somehting, but anyways, that was for a brand new, from GM, 350 crate motor. Pretty cheap if you ask me. Although, the Ford GT-40 crate motor isn't too high either, and it has more HP I believe. Bt also like the others said, there are just tons of parts for them and the parts tend to be cheaper.

<

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
I will be looking for one for a project of mine down the road (not my Explorer). My reasons are that it fits nicely, it is short enough so the rear driveline is not at a steep angle, higher horses, bolts to the transmission I want, and aftermarket parts.

<