Why bypass the stock amp?

ahodges

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millbury, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT - 347 S/C
I was wondering why everyone likes to at minimum bypass the stock amp. I have mine wired to turn on the the head unit which powers aftermarket speakers.

Would I get better sound quality by just bypassing the amp? Whats the advantage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the stock amplifier can't be wired in to aftermarket HU's. But I could be wrong.

Check the Audio & Navigation sub-forum, you'd get more feedback there ;)

I honestly can't remember exactly why I had to bypass it when I replaced my HU... been too long, but I'm sure there was a reason :D

The amplifier is usually bypassed when you are replacing your head unit since the output from the new head unit is already going thru the built in amplifier in the new head unit. The factory HU signals to the factory amplifier are not amplified.

Hooking up the output from an aftermarket head unit thru the factory amplifier will work, but the sound quality will be poor and get distorted very quickly when the volume is increased.

Most aftermarket head units probably have a better amplifier than the factory one anyways. I just removed mine last weekend when I installed a new HU, front door speakers, 2 external amps and a subwoofer.

ok.. Thanks for the help. Where would I go to just get a bypass kit plug?

any reputable audio shop, really.

I know I got mine when I got my new HU from Crutchfield.

I believe it was made by Scosch?

i bypassed mine because my head unit has it's own crossovers and is more powerful than the stock amp, also my crossovers in the doors were conflicting with the stock amp and that made sound quality suffer, after i got schoche amp crossover form another member i put it in and the sound got so much better , and louder.
I had also changed my door speakers to a 2 way design so the amp in the head unit had the proper impedance after the bypass,

Ok.. that answers my question.. Thanks guys

Back