Why can't I find a direct fit muffler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why can't I find a direct fit muffler?

VCOSH28

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 and 98 Explorer EB
I went to Autozone, Advance Auto and O'Reilly. Apparently depending on the build date of 99's there are different size inlet tubes/flanges. Build date of my truck is 12/98. What OE replacements are out there? Stores only seem to have Walker brand. Strange thing is, when I bought the truck years ago I put a new muffler on and didn't have this trouble. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vince

If you've got a 4.0 sohc, 4WD, 4-door, it looks like this one from AutoZone will work for vehicles before 11/07/1999...

http://www.autozone.com/emission-co...e-4-0l-mfi-sohc/284925_607161_25138?location=

But, yeah, these used to be plentiful just a few years ago. Same with Direct Fit cats. Every Ford dealer in the country had them. Now, none do. Aftermarket options are disappearing too.

Just like us, these are getting old all of a sudden.

That's the one that I bought and didn't work. I ended up going to a muffler shop and they ordered one for me. Showed up in a couple hours and fits. The paperwork doesn't say the brand and I didn't get the box.

Guess we'll have to go custom pretty soon.

Exhaust systems and transmissions are 2 things I don't mess with. As far as exhaust systems I'd rather just go to Midas, let them deal with it and have a lifetime warranty. Yes, it costs more than doing it yourself, but well worth it IMO.

Back