Why D30 is used for SAS but.....

swak6287

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockwall tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
question is why we use D30 for SAS but at the other forums, especu=ially jeeps, they all say the D30 is weak and not recommended for 33s. reason i am asking is because i bought a 87 XJ with D30 at front and D35 at rear. i see so much success with the D30 here on this board but when i look at the other forum, they all say D30 is a bomb ready to exploede.

enlighten me plz.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything has it's perspective. The D30 is a decent axle. It can be weak in stock form, however, there are plenty of after market companies that make great parts for this axle. I've been wheeling with JPs for years and many still run the D30 front axle. If you plan to run 400hp, and 38" tires then the D30 is not for you. The D30 is cost effective, readily available, and if you get the later year D30, it already has the driver side pumpkin and 5.4.5 bolt pattern. This makes a SAS that much easier. The day I find this axle unable to keep up with me I may upgrade to a D44.

Do a search, there's a big thread on the pros and cons of the D30 front axle.

Like I told you in your other thread, you will be okay with your Dana 30 as long as you put some work into it.
You do need to get rid of the Dana 35 out back as it will give you issues.
The mistake alot of people make is when they lift their vehicle without looking at the axles. Gears, Lockers, Upgrades, then they wonder why there having issues 2 hours from home.

Just somethings to look at. If you need help building that thing, bring it on over and we will have a build-a-thon.

The D35 is by far a weaker axle. The problem with the D30 is that you don't want to go higher than 4.56 or you'll risk grenading your ring gear.

Warn makes 1 piece alloy axle shafts for the D30 that are supposed to be really strong. Robb has a set. Also, do like Yomie did and upgrade to 297x U-joints and you'll run 33's no problem. Definately get rid of the D35 and hang in a 8.8 with disc's ~ heck, you can get a 8.8 with discs and a 4.10 LS cheaper than it would cost to regear the D30. Then regear the front and throw in a locker and you're set. Thats what most people recommend in the Jeep community

When I graduate from college I plan on getting a Commanche and putting an disc'd, 4.10LS 8.8 and then regearing up front and a selectable locker + the afformentioned mods. Figure that and a 4.0L stroker kit and it'll pull with 33's no problem. That is about as big as I would want to go on a street driven truck. Rubicon Express 4.5" lift and then cut out fenders. Actually, this would be my 4x4 and i'd probably sell the Ex and get an Acura RSX as the daily. :eek:

man, this offroading addiction is expensive.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha addiction? I am not addicted! :)

Yeah right. Yes it IS expensive BELIEVE me, thats why RESEARCH is your friend, that way you can spend once and do it right the first time, some of us like to spend over and over re-doing our previous setups, to learn the hard way.

My dana 44 rear is starting to look real nice for 100.00 dollars isnt it :)

lol...hhmm..yummi. is it bolt on? huh? huh? gear ratio? locker? looks yummi now. put come ketchup on it. :)

You would need to move the spring perches (easy) and install the brakes and e-brake cable.

What about the driveshaft?????

And that to......... Driveshafts are overrated.

ok... i'll take it for 100 if u help me put it on. i am gonna go to arlington to pick it up tomorrow. need to fix the fuel line, then i can drive it back to dallas. let me check ad make sure it does not have a d44 cause some of the xj has the tow package.
cool deal, brian??

so, now we kinda got the rear taken care off, what about the front? d30 sounds weak. i should just leave the front open and lock the rear. also, if we install the d44 at the rear, does that affect the type of lift i purchase?

Not to get nosey, but why are you messing with the rear? The 8.8 is a stronger axle.

edit: ignore me, this is about a jeep. It should probably be in "other makes and models"

Robb, I believe its a Heep :)

Originally posted by Robb
Not to get nosey, but why are you messing with the rear? The 8.8 is a stronger axle.

This is for his XJ. But yes, I say go for an 8.8 also

Also, only MJ's had the option of D44's and that was only in the early '90's They are pretty rare

robb, this is for the 87 xj that i just purchased. my x is 2wd but my spindle is in order, so it will be kinda street queen while the xj will be a trail rig. maybe even tow the xj with the x.

pero, my amigo, brian, si tengo una D44 para sien dollars. quantos dinero la una ford 8.8?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Towing with the X? That wouldn't be the brightest idea!

Back