Why do Departments select the model they do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why do Departments select the model they do?

Speedbird

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO and Cardiff
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Over the last few months I’ve been keeping an eye on the used stock of Police Explorers and was wondering...

There is a visible difference in the type of Explorer that Police departments use leaning heavily to the normally aspirated V6 model.

In you opinion, why is that?

I probably realise that higher command officers, government officials, people and positions like that could probably get ecoboost models but... I was just curious what you all think.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably the higher cost, and mechanical complexity. Most city budgets are tight.

If the PIU is like the retail one then it could be because the Ecoboost did not come out until 2013.

Peter

Probably the higher cost, and mechanical complexity. Most city budgets are tight.

I agree, for vast majority of agencies, there is really no reason to go with the Ecoboost. The 3.7 is quick enough, in fact, I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if Ford offered a front-drive PIU now that the Taurus is going away since most departments probably don't need AWD either, especially if getting rid of it resulted in a substantial discount.

Have been seeing a lot of places using Dodge Chargers, which have tons of issues.

Vehicles are selected for various reasons.....price being a huge one however other aspects matter as well. The department I am at is no longer ordering explorers because the newer ones are now being built with an aluminum frame which limits the ability to use the vehicles the way we want. Other aspects include order wait time, the function for the vehicle (patrol, command staff, detectives, sgts, swat, etc). As for what engine is selected, usually they just go with whatever can sufficiently perform with all the added gear (crazy amount of added weight) as well as what they can get the quickest (in my experience that is what I have seen).

I do not see any point in the near future where AWD is not the standard. The way these vehicles are driven (left tires on pavement while right tires on gravel while chasing a vehicle as an example) it does not make sense to stop using AWD.

I had read a report saying CHP recently chose not to renew their contract with Ford, and switching to more Dodge Chargers as they looks better (yes, because of the look, the original word is like "these utility looks like a family car").

And for the EcoBoost problem, I heard that it doesn't work as good as the 3.7 L in reality (although they had better specs on paper), and on the fuel saving side they would save that much before decommission (not making up the price difference I guess?).

I had read a report saying CHP recently chose not to renew their contract with Ford, and switching to more Dodge Chargers as they looks better (yes, because of the look, the original word is like "these utility looks like a family car").

And for the EcoBoost problem, I heard that it doesn't work as good as the 3.7 L in reality (although they had better specs on paper), and on the fuel saving side they would save that much before decommission (not making up the price difference I guess?).

I wish I could say I was surprised to hear a department is choosing a vehicle off of looks....... I can only speak for my department but I guess more power to them for being able to pick a vehicle strictly for looks lol

Vehicles are selected for various reasons.....price being a huge one however other aspects matter as well. The department I am at is no longer ordering explorers because the newer ones are now being built with an aluminum frame...

Frame? What frame? Where?

............. "these utility looks like a family car").
I would think that would be considered a positive for law enforcement? You want to 'blend in'.

Peter

I would think that would be considered a positive for law enforcement? You want to 'blend in'.

Peter

In their statement, sounds like they really don't. The officer said they wanted some tougher look and the charger "just look like a cop car", so people will be aware when it is around (possibly drive better? idk). And maybe because they ran on highway all the time, they new rigs will be RWD instead of AWD.

What's sad is that almost all their Chargers are Pentastars rather than Hemis.

What's sad is that almost all their Chargers are Pentastars rather than Hemis.

They quoted better fuel efficiency. (V8 is not necessary in most scenario from their point of view)

They quoted better fuel efficiency. (V8 is not necessary in most scenario from their point of view)
It’s really not. A high performance V6 will do in most situations. Most people that run do it because they are desperate, not because they have faster cars. No car is faster than a radio.

When I was teaching my kids to drive, I impressed upon them that what ever they were driving, it would be impossible to outrun the Motorola....

It’s really not. A high performance V6 will do in most situations. Most people that run do it because they are desperate, not because they have faster cars. No car is faster than a radio.

When I was teaching my kids to drive, I impressed upon them that what ever they were driving, it would be impossible to outrun the Motorola....

What I used to hear was, “you may outrun a cop car, but you won’t outrun a fleet of cop cars, let alone those with helicopters”

Back