why do these things happen? Blue Bandit is wrecked | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

why do these things happen? Blue Bandit is wrecked

NICE59FORDF100

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
OBD-1 Kenobi
hey yall. im mad. im just needing to vent some steem. just bear with me.

im on 29th and meridian and i am heading to our company's supply house. i pass a light, and it is green, so i keep goin. well, im doin the speed limit, which is 40.
im goin along, minding my own business, when i see this Blue Isuzu Rodeo in my lane, trying to to turn right, the same direction i am going. well, hes all the way in the right lane, which i am in, and he sees me, stops, and tries to put it in reverse. well, by this time, my brakes are slammed, and i am doing about 30 when i t-bone him. i was ok, i had my seat belt on, and he and his kid was OK. no one was hurt, just a bad fender bender. anyway, i back up a little bit, because my explorer was in both lanes, crooked. i only backed up about 10 feet. well, i get out, worrying how much damage was done to my explorer. and luckily, more damage was done to his rodeo than mine. first person i call is my mom, and he calls the police. i start bawling on the phone because this is my first accident. im not afraid to admit, i cried for like 10 minutes, because of what had happened to Blue. well, my sister was close by, and she came and was with me through the whole incident. it takes the officer about 20 minutes to get there, and he takes our driver licenses and insurence cards, and gives us both panphletes to fill out, which later was exchanged between us. i filled mine out, and i gave it back to the officer. well, then the officer WALKS off the skid marks i left, NOT using the little mearsuing device that measures stuff. then he talks to the man that i hit for about 15 minutes, and then talks to his 9-10 year old son for 20 minutes. im sitting on the curb through all this. finally, the officer takes me and the other guy (his name is bill for future reference) under a tree, and tells us his 'verdict'. Bill failed to yield to my right-of-way, and then the officer tells me i was speeding through the intersection at 47 miles per hour! i told him 'officer, im not trying to argue with you, but my speedometer read 40 when i slammed on the brakes' and guess what he told me! 'well, the evidence doesnt lie'. how the hell could he tell how fast i was going if he 1) didnt know how many seconds it took for me to make those skid marks, 2) which tires caused them, and 3) exactly how long the marks were. all he did was walk the marks off. ANYWAY, the officer didnt issue any citations, but failed to ask me anything regarding the wreck. so off bill goes in his rodeo, and i have to pry my bumper out of the front right bumber so i can at least drive the explorer. well, just thought i would vent some steam. here are some pictures:
:mad:
heres how Blue did look like
sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

heres how it looks after the wreck:mad:
sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

thanks for reading this far. catch ya later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear man. Sucks even more that the cop was being a jerk and not listening to you.

ya, the plus side is the other guy was at fualt, and his insurence will be taking care of the damages, BUT, the adjuster is who i am worried about. He is supposed to be out sometime next week, and i dont want he/she to total it. and ive been getting the ring-a-round with body shops trying and getting estimates. ive been the 6 shops, and was only able to get three estimates. the other three said that the adjuster will give me a set price, and then go to them, and maybe they could work something out. but when i talked to the insurence guy, he said to go ahead and GET estimates. ugh, nada says the explorer is at 4300 for value, but ive put over 1700 in esential repairs! new heads with gaskets, new a/c system, to r-134a, and new stock exhaust (i know, shouldve got a delata/flowmaster, but i didnt have a license or money at the time). so anyway, i have something clear and smelless leaking under the passenger fender and my steering pump is leaking. i dont know if you can tell, but my hood was twisted to the right, meaning i cant get it open and it will need new hinges and firewall support (maybe) oh well

I wouldn't worry with it that much. That damage is FAR from a total.

BTW, that story is VERY similar to my first accident. Guy tried to turn right off a side road in front of me, realized he wasn't gonna make it, stopped and tried to reverse.......stalled it.

It is a scary situation, just be glad no one was hurt.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, man. I just got back from doing body work on my wife's '01 Rav4 myself. She had an accident on which SHE was at fault. Oh well. :(

Stopping and backing is the #1 mistake most people make in that situation. You are more likely to avoid the accdent by flooring it.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I don't think here is enough damage to total your X.

ya, i dont think it will either, but im **** about this. i felt violated when i hit him. the thought went through my mind to tell him 'YOU HIT MY EXPLORER!'. but, he is worse off, because he had just bought that rodeo brand new on the 19th. and it crumpled his driver fender, his hood, this grille, bumber, and the PASSENGER fender! foreign cars are NOT reinforced!

heres how the side of his rodeo looked:
______________ <---------front of rodeo
l
l <-------driver fender
___l
l
l <---------Driver door
l
l
l
l

Originally posted by NICE59FORDF100
and it crumpled his driver fender, his hood, this grille, bumber, and the PASSENGER fender! foreign cars are NOT reinforced!
That is what an automobile should do (crumple zone). The occupents of that vehicle are probably in better shape because of it.

well, i mean, you can see it didnt hurt the ex as bad as it did his. he drove off, but there was peices of his suv on the road. come to think of it, the cop didnt sweep anything up on the road. BUT, nothing fell off my ex! hehe

ouch that sucks man that was a sweet look truck

EliteConcept, your prolly the first person to say my truck looks good, or 'sweet'. thank you! oh, and i send in my elite membership, and filled out the form tonight, woo hoo

mrboyle, how far from okc are ya? im out here in mustang/yukon area

ouch man, i'm sorry to see that ur x took a hit. I hate to see another person's x go down...hope ya get it fixed soon...laterz

dealing with accidents are never fun. Look on the bright side, here is your chance to get your Blue Bandit. You might be able to work a deal with the body shop and get it painted the color you want for a really good price. If the body is straight, you could offer to sand it back, strip any body moldings etc. so it's less work for the shop. Someone rear ended me last year and I got the bumper replaced, and with a little work on my half I got the front and rear bumper ground effects and flares repainted in a kamealon silver/green. for the the cost of the paint. All I did was strip the plasctic bits and sanded them. Not a bad deal.

Deak

I can't believe EC is the first to say your Ex looks good.
That is a nice lookin' Ex.

Okay, most body shops HAVE to go from the insurance companies estimate initially. Any thing above and beyond their estimate the body shop will deal directly with the insurance company.

It looks like a cake repair though

I'm with Monmix and EliteC, you have a great lookin' X...of course I'm kinda biassed towards 92 EBs.:D
When I got in my wreck (t-bone) my repairs cost me about 2800 by the time I was all done but my rear quarter, rear door and wheel well were demolished. I have a feeling your repair bill won't be in that range. Your X will be shining like new before you know it!!
Either way, sorry it happened!

thanks ya'll, all my friends and family say im wasting my time, effort, and money on Blue, but i havent seen one around my town like it!:) anyway, the three estimates i have gotten range from 1700-3700 (go figure the chevy dealer charges the most (the insurence said to go to a chevy dealer, trust me, i felt dirty just standing in the lot)) and when i talked to his insurence the other day, they siad the ex's range in value form 2000-4400, and mine being around 4300 (according to nada). so i wonder if i should show the adjuster the highest estimate and be like 'hey, its goin to take a lot' and then go with the 1700 estimate, and use the rest for paint:D

hows this for anger and irony all rolled up into one. today is monday, and the wreck was on friday. when i got home today, my new K&N air filter with 3" chrome tubing had arrived. and my 66mm throttle body was sitting next to it. ya.....kinda useless considering i cant get the hood open, and it will prolly be a month before i get Blue back and running around again. just fyi. And OH, bill's insurence called today looking for me, and my mom spoke on my behalf, and they started to argue over this whole deal. looks like were goin to have to go to court. his insurence is saying i was at fault. go figure. anyway, peace out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't take it to the cheapest shop.
They are cheap for a reason.
Also don't let the insurance company bully you into taking your Ex to some place you don't want to.
It is your vehicle, you can take it where ever you wish.

As a tip, look for a shop where the technicians have been through I-CAR training.

Back