Why does a 4.0L Aerostar use an external EDIS module? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why does a 4.0L Aerostar use an external EDIS module?

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mountaineer
I stumbled across a '92 4L Aerostar at the junkyard recently and noticed that it uses an external EDIS-6 module. Rangers of a similar vintage have the EDIS technology built into the PCM. I had never noticed this before and am left wondering why. Anyone know what the thinking was?

The 3.0L didn't have a distributorless set up until 1996. Older models had an ignition module under the distributor. The heat from that area caused them to fail so Ford added an external wiring harness to mount them onto a heatsink on the fender wall. As for the 4.0L, they had a distributorless ignition before the 3.0L. Modern vehicles use a lot of individual modules instead of integrating everything into the PCM. They are used for everything from body control functions to ABS & SRS.

I stumbled across a '92 4L Aerostar at the junkyard recently and noticed that it uses an external EDIS-6 module. Rangers of a similar vintage have the EDIS technology built into the PCM. I had never noticed this before and am left wondering why. Anyone know what the thinking was?
Rangers and the Aerostar use the same PCM during this era. When I converted my aerostar to a manual transmission I used a ranger PCM. Even the early 4.6 had an external edis module.

Rangers and the Aerostar use the same PCM during this era. When I converted my aerostar to a manual transmission I used a ranger PCM. Even the early 4.6 had an external edis module.
Okay, my bad. For some reason I was convinced that the Ranger 4.0 had the EDIS logic in the PCM (as some other Ford applications did). Thanks for correcting me.

Back