• Register Today It's free!

Why does my transmission do this?

BTR

Reaction score
City, State
MARIETTA, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4DR 2WD
2000 Explorer XLT 4-Door 2WD 140,000 miles. Original transmission - 5-speed automatic O/D transmission (Ford 5R55E).

When slowly driving around a parking lot (making turns up-and-down the parking aisles), sometimes --- typically when coming out of a turn and starting to accelerate --- the transmission will not "catch." This causes the engine to rev freely and there's no acceleration... the engine isn't "coupled" to the transmission. If I let off the gas and give it a second or two, then the transmission "catches" and everything is normal. What causes the transmission to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Low fluid.

Check transmission fluid with engine running in park on level ground at operating temperature.

Low fluid.

Check transmission fluid with engine running in park on level ground at operating temperature.
I check the fluid level regularly... per your instructions, it's always in the hatched area of the dipstick... never had to add any fluid... never had any leaks.

Falling out of gear around corners is a classic example of low fluid so if your sure the level is correct you may have a problem with the filter. Either overfill it by a quart and see if the problem goes away or pull the pan and inspect the filter and its o rings.

@JK080 - Thanks. I'll give that a try and report back.

If you checked the fluid and it appears full, the next thing to do is put a 0-300 psi gauge on the pressure hydraulic test port and check to see if the pressure is stable in all driving conditions conditions.

Back