• Register Today It's free!

Why does my wheel stick out?

cloud2or3

Reaction score
City, State
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Limited SOHC
Can someone tell me why my passengers side front wheel would be sticking out further than my drivers side??

IMG_01021.jpg

IMG_06611.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be from the alignment, as they set the caster and camber different for each side

could be from the alignment, as they set the caster and camber different for each side
Thats an awful lot of difference just because of alignment. Looks to me like accident damage from the past. Stand either in front of the truck at a distance, or behind it, and sight down both sides. Im willing to bet you can see the fenders are moved to the left. If you cant see any difference, then measure the difference from the frame to the edge of the fender. How does the truck drive? Have someone drive the truck while you follow it on a straight road. Does it track straight? Or does it look like it iz going sideways. A little bit of difference from one side to the other is nothing to be concerned about. But that looks excessive to me. You did have the wheels pointed straight ahead when you took the picturs didn't you?. It appears that you did.

i would also bet that if he loosened all the bolts and panels on the whole front, there would be enough slop in the holes that them bolts go through to make that even less from one side to the other,,

building cars on an assembly line is about speed, not perfection,, so go look at your own, it may be like that too, and you just never noticed,, new cars on the lot will look like that too,

not saying he shouldn't check for what you put up,
just saying don't be alarmed,cause it is off a bit,

I looked at mine before I bought it. There is maybe 1/2" difference from one side to the other. Thats why I suggested he measure it if it was hit on the right side, the sheet metal could just have been pushed over some. Like you said, loosten the core support, and move the sheet metal over. Another possibility is the offset of the wheels, if they are different from one side to the other. Not highly likely, but possible.

Another possibility is the offset of the wheels, if they are different from one side to the other. Not highly likely, but possible.

Mine was like this when I bought it too. I had almost all the key front end parts replaced as they were worn out pretty bad and I thought that would fix the issue. It didnt...

I've had the truck for a year, i bought a new set of summers for it, just because of the shape of the tires on the summers, it doesn't look 'as bad' but its still there. The pics above are with the stock rims and snow tires.

I'll take a couple more pics with the summers that are on now. > to come...

Those are two different pictures, from two different places at different angles. The front fender flares inwards towards the front that can give an illusion of the tire kicking outward, which would be from the toe, not camber.

Do you know how to set up a string to get a rough measurement from the front and back of the front tires?

I think you can only adjust one and not the other on these trucks. I did buy a set of adjuster bolts (have not installed), but we were simply going to try to push out the other wheel to make it match, but then that didnt make sense as you's still be in the same boat if only one can be adjusted and not the other when you do the alignment.

Thats an awful lot of difference just because of alignment. Looks to me like accident damage from the past. .....How does the truck drive? Have someone drive the truck while you follow it on a straight road. Does it track straight? Or does it look like it iz going sideways. ..... But that looks excessive to me. You did have the wheels pointed straight ahead when you took the picturs didn't you?. It appears that you did.

I agree, its too much, and it was there when i bought it, there after front end parts were replaced, and after new wheels and tires. I'm gonna have to do a little digging. If it was in an accident, i've got another small claim to deal with! yay! (Actually I love the process! lol)

It drives straight, I can say anyone would notice a difference if they saw me coming at them or driving away, I'll have to work on that.

I think the best thing would be to pay for some shop time and have it scrutinized.

Look at the whole body carefully. Look at the whole truck from a good distance back, from several angles.

Determine if the body panels all match and line up, and are symmetrical. You can tell if fenders or doors etc, are located inward or out to far etc. That kind of misalignment would be from body work.

That being said for anyone to check any car, these all are bodies mounted to a steel frame. You can move the entire body on the frame, forward/back/left/right, about 1/2" or so easily.

If the body is all matched properly, then the solution is to loosen all 10 body mounts and move the body around. That may sound easy, but it's not. Those body mount bolts are typically hell to loosen in most climates. Even when they are loosened, it's tough to slide the body on the frame. A bodyshop tool is best for that, they have a simple long bar jack like a wood working bar clamp, in reverse.

I'm betting sheet metal/accident damage, the bumper is sticking out farther on the pass side too.

building cars on an assembly line is about speed, not perfection,, so go look at your own, it may be like that too, and you just never noticed,, new cars on the lot will look like that too
This assessment is true....But it may or may not be related to the tyre sticking out-

Her's some pictures with the summers on...

Passenger side...
img_09561.jpg

Drivers side...
img_09571.jpg

Hey, take a good close look at the pictures again. Notice the difference between the bumper and the fender? Look again. The sheet metal is pushed to the left. If you loosen the core support, like I said earlier, you will be able to align the sheet metal. Truck shows that it was hit on the right zide.

I have 2 of them and both of mine give the impression that the passenger side is out farther than the drivers side. And both mine are 97's. So it very well could be something from the assembly line.

I'm going to take a picture of the rears too... they've never looked out to me, but maybe that will help us...

Back in a bit.

Some angles of the REAR PASSENGER WHEEL...

img_0960.jpg

img_0962.jpg

img_0963.jpg

img_09652.jpg

Some angles of the DRIVERS SIDE REAR wheel...

img_0964.jpg

img_09591.jpg

img_09611.jpg

img_0966.jpg

I have 2 of them and both of mine give the impression that the passenger side is out farther than the drivers side. And both mine are 97's. So it very well could be something from the assembly line.

Is it JUST your front pass side that is out then?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the body straight, never mind the tires? Figure out if the body lines are straight, if all of the parts are where they should be. I bet that they are.

My 93 Limited was wrecked when I bought it, laid on it's left side before. The whole back end was off center clearly, the body had moved to the right. When the body work was finished, I loosened all but the front two frame bolts, and moved the body. I did the work myself, I know how it's done.

When I fixed my current 99 Limited, the body was removed many times and when it finally was bolted down, I purposely moved the body to the left. I used the truck to deliver mail, I wanted the front bumper to the left as much as possible, as well as the right front tire. So mine is slightly off center just like your truck is, not quite that much, but a little. It is unnoticeable unless you look for it, which is what I wanted.

Get the body panels straight and symmetric from side to side, then move the body to be even left to right.

Attachments

• Projectthread003.JPG
    Projectthread003.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 735

Back