Why does the owners manual NOT specify the type of oil filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why does the owners manual NOT specify the type of oil filter?

Dr Plastic

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'15 Limited FWD
WTH?? It shows all the other "filters" and the type of oil but not the oil filter!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dunno why but it should be an FL-500S filter. Retail $9.76

Ok, this is actually kinda funny. On page 409 of the PDF document, it lists the oil filter type, but incorrectly. The filter type is listed on the Battery row.

Ok, this is actually kinda funny. On page 409 of the PDF document, it lists the oil filter type, but incorrectly. The filter type is listed on the Battery row.

Haha!! Your right, the battery and filter info is swapped in mine.

I found it online but there is absolutely no mention of it in the book, not even the index! It talks about the types of oil and changing the filter but not what filter to use!

Unfortunately owners get a book but no PDF so that is of no use to the majority of owners out there!

WTH?? It shows all the other "filters" and the type of oil but not the oil filter!
My 2011 Owner's Guide shows it as being FL-500-S as Bryceb posted. The Guide's index is not exactly one of its strong points. I find the online PDF document much easier to use by using the 'FIND' function.

Peter

My 2011 Owner's Guide shows it as being FL-500-S as Bryceb posted. The Guide's index is not exactly one of its strong points. I find the online PDF document much easier to use by using the 'FIND' function.

Peter

Agreed. The index is next to useless. I have the PDF saved on my laptop and my iPhone so that I can search it.

Unfortunately owners get a book but no PDF so that is of no use to the majority of owners out there!

How about "Engine Oil" then "filter, specifications.........397"......wow

And here is a link to the pdf for future reference:

Owners manual

How about "Engine Oil" then "filter, specifications.........397"......wow

And here is a link to the pdf for future reference:

Owners manual

WOW.... page 397 in my owners manual lists accessories and says nothing about filters!

But I did find it on pg. 393 and like txaggie said it is flip-flopped with the battery!

Back