Why dont my 12" subs fit my 12" box? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why dont my 12" subs fit my 12" box?

Explorer96xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Maitland, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0
Well, i upgraded my infinity reference 1252's, and got some kappa perfect 12.1's, i go to put them in and they dont fit the holes correctly, if I line up the top hole, the bottom still has room left inside the hole, i dont get it, i thought 12 inches is 12 inches, any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The outside diamater of the basket is probably smaller on your new subs.
set them side by side & I bet you see the difference.

dont have the references anymore, do i need to get a new box?

not all woofers have the same OD or cutout diameter.

for best results the enclosure should be tailored to the individual woofer anyway

subs

yeah, you will prolly need to get a new box, your only other option is to make a new box front out of a new peice of wood and attach it over your old one, just cut new holes to fit the new subs, other than that, your better off getting a new box, if you want one, lemme know, i get them for super cheap, you'll just have to see whether or not its cheap for you after shipping, lemme know

If you can center the sub so that the gap is minimal on all sides, the foam/gasket on the backside will take care of minor imperfections in the seal.

Back