Why is the 97 SOHC a POS????

frickea86

Rust? You mean character!
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
Since i've had my explorer, since 1997, i've had trouble with check engine codes and co2 sensors, well i got those all fixed and then the IAC valve acted up, so i just replaced it. Its been awesome ever since, which is about 3 years now. But since i've had it, i've always had a problem with running the AC compressor will being in drive. It idles too low an kicks the compressor on and off and the only way to remedy this is to hit the gas a little bit to jump the rpms up. Now i clean my IAC and MAF every month to two months. What is causing this problem?

I think it just has to do with the 97's because my girlfriends sister and her mom both have 98 explorers, one is a limited an the other an XLT. I do a lot of work on her sister's 98 and what i've noticed, her's will idle at 500rpms with a/c compressor engaged no problem, turn the wheel doesn't effect it. WHAT IS DIFFERENT??????

Sorry for the half rant half questions, getting really tired of it stalling out when the a/c clutch engages. Any help is apriciated, thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You screwed dude. The 5.0 is muuch better.

Dude, my 05 doesn't idle worth a crap. Its not just yours. I have complained endlessly about it, and ford refuses to figure out why. The whole thing shakes when the idle drops down to 500 or so rpm, and whats worse is the damn climate control turns the compressor on whenever it wants.:thumbsup:

open the throttle a little by using the adjustment screw, problem solved.

open the throttle a little by using the adjustment screw, problem solved.

just tried that tonight, seem to work alot better, we'll see if the symptoms come back. Thanks for the advice.

Any other suggestions anyone?

I have a 97 OHV 4.0L and the PCM calls for a higher idle when the AC kicks in at Idle RPM. I'm not sure whether it is timing or the IAC (or both) controls this function. Adjusting the throttle body set point is not recommended and you should not have to clean your IAC that often unless your engine has too much blowby. You have yet to find the root problem. Did you use new gaskets on the IAC and throttle body everytime they were removed?

... Its been awesome ever since, which is about 3 years now.

I think it's interesting that the entire engine assembly is labeled a "POS" because of a singular idle problem, when the rest of the unit has performed "awesome" for three years.

I guess standards are raised really high nowadays. In a back-handed way that's a testament to how well Ford built that engine. Offer thanks that you weren't born a couple of decades beforehand when you would have prayed that was your only complaint. Enjoy :)

I think it's interesting that the entire engine assembly is labeled a "POS" because of a singular idle problem, when the rest of the unit has performed "awesome" for three years.

I guess standards are raised really high nowadays. In a back-handed way that's a testament to how well Ford built that engine. Offer thanks that you weren't born a couple of decades beforehand when you would have prayed that was your only complaint. Enjoy :)

not really sure where your going with the last point. But i understand where i came off bashing something that i think is "awesome." i was just in a rant mood, thats why i went from one extream to the next. Anyways.

I clean my MAF and IAC monthly for the same reasons you change your oil. I don't have much or any oil blow back on the system, i just feel that the parts work their best when they are clean, which is true. Your right, you don't need to clean it that much, and again its the same in you don't need synthetic oil, its just a cheap security mesaure. Also, i change the IAC gasget and MAF gasget each year in fear of me wearing it out.

Thanks all for the info, so far she's running "awesome" once again. Problem still hasn't come back yet and she idles much smoother now.

if the ac compressor is cycling I suspect the AC system is low on refrigerant

the 97 SOHC model year is the first year the SOHC was avail in te Explorer, so it has some issues like the timing chain tensioners, etc I know plenty of 97 model year SOHC still running and driving just fine with tons of miles, so they are not that bad! Also I agree with GJarrett, sounds like yuo have little issues with your 9 year old truck in the last 3 years since you have had it, parts wear out and things go bad, from what you have said it sounds like you have it MADE, it CAN always be worse

ac compressor is not low on refrigerant fluid, the cycling is due to the low rpms, when the engine is running correctly no cycling occurs. Low rpms include going below 500rpms which is the emergency kick off for the a/c compressor. Hence it cycling.

I understand all this, AGAIN i will state that i have been treated very well by the sohc but i was in a rant!! HENCE rant, and i totally understand where you guys are coming from. I've had my fair share of issues with it but that is understandable, i have 120k on it. Also, we've had this truck sine brand new, the rents had it before me and it was a mess untill i got my hands on it. But thanks for the comments and i am very happy with the SOHC, it has alot of potential.

Now to get an alternator...lol

also, just a little added info that i didn't add. we've had this idling problem since we bought it, but it eventually got worse with age so i replaced the IAC and it fixed it till about now, so thats why i was kinda confused on how the 98s seem to run better, i didn't know if there was something different, maybe a new flash?

Iam guessing my 98 SOHC is the same exact engine to a T. I havent had any issues at all.

disconnect the low pressure switch on the AC system and see if the compressor clutch still kicks in

Rants are fine hombre its all good

mine rattles, '99. Nothing is awesome when its first introduced. I'm just waiting to see how many suckers bought the ps3 and have problems with it, i'm going to wait a year or so before i even look at one. normal oil and grunge build up from the pcv system can cause airflow problems in the intake and affect idle quality. IAC motors are worthless if there is a bunch of crap in the port. Keep in mind that cost has alot to do with the way manufactures design things. Studs are superior when it comes to main caps and heads, but bolts are much cheaper.

Iam guessing my 98 SOHC is the same exact engine to a T. I havent had any issues at all.

congrads?, my girlfriends sister's hasn't had any issues either an its the 98, thats mainly why it ticked me off mine was not working. also, thats why i was wondering if they changed something.

410Fortune, hey where is that low pressure switch at? So far it hasn't cycled yet since messing with the adjustment screw some. But, id like to know where this is for further testing. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its right one the compressor

Back