• Register Today It's free!

Why Mod a New Vehicle?

Michael W

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Explorer Platinum
Stupid question time:

I am getting my '17 Platinum within a few weeks. Why would I want to put a mod on it? I am not sure that this gearhead talk is sinking in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stupid question time:

I am getting my '17 Platinum within a few weeks. Why would I want to put a mod on it? I am not sure that this gearhead talk is sinking in.
If you ask me, you don't. For some the 365 HP with 93 octane doesn't appear to be enough. I find the Ecoboost has more than enough power and torque running on just regular grade gasoline. Saves money all around.;)

Peter

Stupid question time:

It's at your own risk. I was changing my oil at my 9K interval in February, dealer said that you also need a cabin filter and an oil filter and some other filter. Labor charged $90, total bill $176. Total cost $176. Just got my 16 XP a year ago and need to pay $176 for oil and a few filters. I was fired up about wheel spacers and lifting my truck by a few inches and then installing a tune. Service manager told me that he had someone come in for the 3rd time with suspension issues due to wheel spacers and basically gave them over 10K in 3 years of business with a big smile on his face. From then on I came down to earth. I am even afraid to put on a CAI that would make my truck at least sound louder. I guess if doing mods and if it case it does affect some other car part to fail, you have to remove the mods before bringing the car back to dealership for service.

It's at your own risk. I was changing my oil at my 9K interval in February, dealer said that you also need a cabin filter and an oil filter and some other filter. Labor charged $90, total bill $176. Total cost $176. Just got my 16 XP a year ago and need to pay $176 for oil and a few filters. I was fired up about wheel spacers and lifting my truck by a few inches and then installing a tune. Service manager told me that he had someone come in for the 3rd time with suspension issues due to wheel spacers and basically gave them over 10K in 3 years of business with a big smile on his face. From then on I came down to earth. I am even afraid to put on a CAI that would make my truck at least sound louder. I guess if doing mods and if it case it does affect some other car part to fail, you have to remove the mods before bringing the car back to dealership for service.

Do the cabin Air Filter yourself it's behind the glovebox and You Tube has videos.
It's not difficult.
The only other filter (besides oil and airbox) is the A/C cooling seat filter on the bottom of the seat but that seems odd it would need replacement so soon.

Wheel Spacers should have very little or zero impact on the suspension of the truck. A lift would be a different story obviously.

The dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part installed somehow caused the failure. If they can prove that, then they can deny a warranty claim. For example, the CAI would probably be an issue if your turbo's failed. If you have suspension issues they can't deny warranty coverage because you have a CAI installed.

A mod is anything that it didnt come from the factory with. Window tint, window vent visors, mudflaps etc. Mod means modification. Its not just engine or suspension related.

Stupid question time:

The real question is "Why Not?!"... ;)

The mods I put on my car haven't had any affect on my warranty at least not just yet. I got a '16 Platinum last February and fell in love with it. After joining this forums, I was inspired by quite a few members on some of their modifications and opted to do the same but to each their own.

If you don't want to do any modifications, then don't. I think the 5th generation XPlorers are one of the best looking SUV's out there and I love the bang for the buck and that's coming from a former Chevy Tahoe owner.

Wheel Spacers should have very little or zero impact on the suspension of the truck. A lift would be a different story obviously.

The dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part installed somehow caused the failure. If they can prove that, then they can deny a warranty claim. For example, the CAI would probably be an issue if your turbo's failed. If you have suspension issues they can't deny warranty coverage because you have a CAI installed.
This protects consumers from Dealers claiming voided warrantees:
https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/sta...nty-federal-trade-commission-improvements-act

You can see "user" friendly write up on the Magnuson-Moss act in wikipedia

Do the cabin Air Filter yourself it's behind the glovebox and You Tube has videos.
It's not difficult.
The only other filter (besides oil and airbox) is the A/C cooling seat filter on the bottom of the seat but that seems odd it would need replacement so soon.

yeah, I guess next time I will know to change the cabin filter myself and save close to $100 bucks :)

Can anyone please tell me if a K&N cabin air filter for a Ford Explorer 2015 will (definitely) fit a 2016? Thanks

Wha
Can anyone please tell me if a K&N cabin air filter for a Ford Explorer 2015 will (definitely) fit a 2016? Thanks

What kind of Explorer? Also, are buying one that's used? Do you have a part number? You can go directly to K&N and find out easily.

What kind of Explorer? Also, are buying one that's used? Do you have a part number? You can go directly to K&N and find out easily.
Profile shows a 2016 Sport.;)

Wha

It's a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport and K&N don't have a cabin filter listed for '16 but on another forum someone said the '15 K&N cabin air filter is the same size. I just wanted to know if anyone here could verify this. The cold air filter has the same size for '11-'17 and I was wondering if it might be the same case for the cabin air filter. Thanks

It's a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport and K&N don't have a cabin filter listed for '16 but on another forum someone said the '15 K&N cabin air filter is the same size. I just wanted to know if anyone here could verify this. The cold air filter has the same size for '11-'17 and I was wondering if it might be the same case for the cabin air filter. Thanks

It will fit. I have a '16 Platinum and had the K&N CAI and sold it to a friend that had a '15 Sport.

It will fit. I have a '16 Platinum and had the K&N CAI and sold it to a friend that had a '15 Sport.
Unless I'm missing something Jon, how are the CAI and cabin air filter related?:dunno:

Peter

The real question is "Why Not?!"... ;)

The mods I put on my car haven't had any affect on my warranty at least not just yet. I got a '16 Platinum last February and fell in love with it. After joining this forums, I was inspired by quite a few members on some of their modifications and opted to do the same but to each their own.

If you don't want to do any modifications, then don't. I think the 5th generation XPlorers are one of the best looking SUV's out there and I love the bang for the buck and that's coming from a former Chevy Tahoe owner.

Why not?

For engine mods, these are my reasons from experience with tuning turbo vehicles...

CAI - the intakes are very well designed in newer vehicles, despite their name "Cold Air Intake" most CAI's pull air from the engine compartment instead of the front of the vehicle where it is cooler leading to much higher intake temps.

Tunes - significant impact on long term reliability. Most tunes tend to be too aggressive and can cause knock or destroy an engine with one tank of lower octane gas. Higher turbo pressures = increased blowby and wear as well as higher temps. There is very good reason for the limits that Ford places on this engine. Those that push past it should not be surprised when they see their turbo bearings fail, timing chain stretch, valve issues, cracked intercoolers, etc.- I have seen this so many times with other tuned turbo vehicles. There was a recent instance of a 3.5L EB destroyed after running a Livernois tune in an F-150 for a short time. Even if these issues don't happen to you, you are placing increased load and wear on the transmission, rear diff, and PTU and should be prepared for any of these parts to fail.

Exhaust - it may sound good, but the louder free flowing exhausts lead to less back pressure which is not good for the turbos. Ford designed the exhaust system to minimize noise but also to provide some back pressure to prevent turbo over-speeding.

Some of these mods may seem small but can have significant effects.... not to mention, the mods listed are not CARB-legal in California.

Back