Why must you use an adapter harness when using external amps? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why must you use an adapter harness when using external amps?

kola

Reaction score
Could someone please explain this to me. Why do you need to use an adapter connector on an aftermarket head unit when using aftermarket external amps? Wouldn't you just need to hook up the power, memory, and ground of the head unit since the speaker wires will be coming from external amps?

Hope this makes sense

Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have one of the premium systems you need a harness to bypass the factory amp, if you are using the factory speaker wires.

Your assumption is correct. If you do not intend to use the factory radio at all, then if you could find your own power, ground, and accessory wire, you're good to go - that is, with the assumption your head unit is a basic one that isn't tied into other options. I'm not familiar with anything above 94, so I'm making a guess here, since I think some 95s and up have integrated features, but I could be wrong. Not sure how this would relate to people with power antennae and stuff or how you'd go about hooking that up, thus the reason most people just break down and get the $15 adapter. There's a point to "Do-it-yourself" but there's also a point where it might not be worth your time like finding new grounds, and wire tapping. After that, you'll just wire up your own amps and run new wire to each speaker.

Later,

Jon

I have all aftermarket components. The existing premium system has pre-amp out wires back to the factory amp. I have a 96 and the amp is located behind the pass side rear panel above the wheel well. I left the factory wiring intact, so that I can re-install it when I trade it in later. Rather than use the pre-amp wiring and an adapter cable, I spliced the wires to the connector to the existing speaker wires at the amp out connecter.

thats what i did, too bad the factory wire is junk. but it worked out pretty well.

Back