• Register Today It's free!

why no sas?

foolio

Reaction score
City, State
garden city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ranger
is there any reason why nobody has done an sas on a 3rd gen yet? im not that familiar with 3rd gens so i dont know if there is some deturing reason no one has done a solid axle on one yet? i mean there a full frame vehicle right? im considering swaping my axles i built on my ranger over to a 99 explorer i just got, but i started thinking how cool a 3rd gen would be because ive never seen one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is one being done right now, couldnt find the link although...most likely not often done because lots of 3rd gens are still newer low mileage vehicles and require not just 1 but 2 solid axles to be swapped in, which means twice the cash and fabrication.

i wanna see the link to it! please find it pretty please. aqnd i understand there newer lower miles but seen new f150s, libertys, and just about everything else out there. i think a 3rd gen on full widths might have to be in my near future if i could button up a few current projects

there is one being done right now, couldnt find the link although...most likely not often done because lots of 3rd gens are still newer low mileage vehicles and require not just 1 but 2 solid axles to be swapped in, which means twice the cash and fabrication.

That being said, 3rd gens are also uni-body which is undesirable for a sas due to the fact that you need lots of reinforcement in order for it to be strong. Just look at xjs they have to do all kinds of reinforcement to their chassis.

there not unibodys are they? i have seen plenty with body lifts so that cant be so

3rd gens have a fully boxed frame...

That being said, 3rd gens are also uni-body which is undesirable for a sas due to the fact that you need lots of reinforcement in order for it to be strong. Just look at xjs they have to do all kinds of reinforcement to their chassis.

3rd gens are not unibody... neither are 4th gens.

The 2011's are.. and front whee drive :mad: but I still like it. Should have been the new edge. but thats another thread! LOL

i wanna see the link to it! please find it pretty please. aqnd i understand there newer lower miles but seen new f150s, libertys, and just about everything else out there. i think a 3rd gen on full widths might have to be in my near future if i could button up a few current projects

yea but like i said before, a 3rd gen would require swapping in two new axles, liberty's and f150's already have a solid rear. im searching for the link idk how i got to it, there is no real progress on it yet though its just in its drawing and planning stages.

Oh its been done! I contacted the seller, full sas front and rear.

Well this Ex isnt mine but I think its probably one of the largest out there... Ran across this in a local for sale classifieds. The ad says 35" tires and a 6" lift (appears to be all suspension lift and no BL) but definately looks like the owner could go larger on this. (this pic was posted in the 3rd gen pics)
19313763.jpg

The picture looks sweet but the only thing is I don't see you leaf springs or link bars running to either axle, so what kind of suspension keeps the axles under the rig?

The picture looks sweet but the only thing is I don't see you leaf springs or link bars running to either axle, so what kind of suspension keeps the axles under the rig?
They are leaf springs, if you look at the front closely you can see them.

That's awesome. Wonder what axles he used.

He said the rear is out of a 2005 Sport trac and the font is a Dana 30 out of a jeep cherokee.

That's awesome. Wonder what axles he used.

more info please

would be nice to have some more info on this. I own a repair shop in saskatchewan and could do this cheap parts wise. how did you mount the leafs?

The truck isn't anybodys thats on the forum. It was being sold and a member spotted it and decided to share. Definitly a cool X though.

The truck isn't anybodys thats on the forum. It was being sold and a member spotted it and decided to share. Definitly a cool X though.

Last I read macknos was creating a sas swap kit but wouldn't release details till complete(since last one burned to ground)

I could be wrong but I swear he posted it in a update last month
Check mountaineer going under the knife thread by macknos94 post 203....
Well after buying my new dodge diesel and building that up I finally made it into a mag for a 1000+ HP 12v cummins. I decided to come back to what I never really got to enjoy when it was finished. I currently fabricate suspension and performance parts for a place called performance diesel warehouse so what better then get back into the 3rd gens again. Now that I have a vehicle to mock up on we will be selling a complete sas kit minus the axles and a few other odds and ends. Also if there are any local explorers that are interested in winch bumpers and rock sliders we can fabricate just about anything. I'm leaving the independent suspension to btf as from what I have been reading he is really taking care of you guys.

The new 3rd gen is in lock down right now and won't be coming out till hot rod week in oc Maryland where she will hopefully be all finished. Sas with a simple five speed mechanical diesel are in the blue prints just like my old one but with a twist.

did anyone saved the pictures? they aren't viewable anymore.. :(

Back