Why not replace intrmediate and OD servos with ZC sized ones? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why not replace intrmediate and OD servos with ZC sized ones?

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I see the normal upgrade is to move the AB servo cover, and get a new ZC servo and cover. Is there a reason I've never heard of upgrading both servos to ZC?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read a while back that somebody did it, and he had a hard shift which he didn't like. The spring is a different color code for that servo, and it has a different amount of tension. I don't know what it would feel like if you matched the spring with the ZC set up. You could try it, and see if you like it. It would be interesting to find out.

When you add a ZC servo for the OD band, and move the AB servo and cap to the intermediate, do you leave the springs where they are?

Any experience with thwy superior shift kit and the included springs? I believe it comes with servo springs, perhaps they're a bit stiffer?

My servos and ZC cap are here, just waiting on my valve body, sonnax EX kit, the superior shift kit and the ATSG manual to arrive..

New Servo Fix

Hey All,

I know this post is old but I thought I would let you know that I tried this upgrade and it fixed my shifting problems. I wasn't able to get out of first gear. At really high RPM and if I played with the throttle I could get it to sometimes shift. I replace the modulator and it did nothing. Found this post and so I tried replacing the servos now it's never shifted so nicely. Strange thing though is that the OD servo cap seems like it went too far in and so it's not even against the retaining ring. Oh well, shifts nicely. Thanks for the awesome posts to help us all out.

FYI, I only use this thing to rock crawl in Southern Utah. Customized the skyjacker 6" lift for the Ranger to work on Explorer with extended radius arms. Spring over in the rear. 35x14 BFG AT and 4.56 gears, Detroit lockers front and rear. I can out climb my buddy with his 2 door Rubicon and 33's. Can almost keep up with my other buddy and his 4 door Rubicon with 38's

Kind of sounds like your governor was sticking but if that fixed it all the better.

Ya, I was prepared to get in there if this didn't work. I failed to mention that I noticed a very small piece of the rubber had broken off from the piston so I was optimistic that replacing it would fix my problem. I'm glad I only had to take the muffler off rather than the transfer case to get to the governor.

Gotcha. Have you rebuilt the VB? Glacier's thread is a very good how-to. The improvements will extend the life of your tranny, I also believe that an external filter is a great idea. Catches all those little particles that bugger up the governor and VB.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't touched this transmission except a flush in the 10 years I've had it. I'll take a look at those threads but probably won't do anything until after Easter weekend.

Back