Why such a lack of audio system upgrades? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why such a lack of audio system upgrades?

tryan1977

Reaction score
There has been one or two posts on this forum regarding audio upgrades and one of them is a project that has been going on for over 4 months but was never completed.

Usually audio upgrades are the first to be done. Has anyone added aftermarket speakers, an amplifier, signal processor or head unit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a system so tied into the whole vehicle as this one is hard to do anything with,,

I just posted I upgraded the sub to a Rockford. I wanted a JL but they don't have 8's yet in shallow mount.

There has been one or two posts on this forum regarding audio upgrades and one of them is a project that has been going on for over 4 months but was never completed.

Usually audio upgrades are the first to be done. Has anyone added aftermarket speakers, an amplifier, signal processor or head unit?

On my '11 XLT I added an amp, a cache c06 signal processor, and a 12" sub in a standard truck box in the back. Sounded fantastic, but we ended up getting rid of the car, so I put all of the equipment in my wife's camaro, I haven't done anything in my sport yet.

Part of the problem is the cost associated with aftermarket head units for these vehicles. You can't just throw in any double-din radio and be done with it, because you have to relocate the climate control, hazards, and OEM radio controls as well as the small screen, which is all tied together. Furthermore, in my case for my Base 2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility, the base model has tweeters and subs in the front doors but no crossover - meaning that the frequency split is done inside the radio. There are just many layers to upgrading the radio, even installing LOCs is difficult due to the split frequency outputs, so you have to trace the wires for the rear doors and figure something out with that, and rewire the front speakers altogether using crossovers. It's much easier to get an aftermarket head unit, but it's gonna cost ya $1000 and up for that alone. Most vehicles that get audio upgrades don't have these intricacies. Head unit, better speakers, maybe an external amp and an additional amp/sub combo. With these the biggest hiccup is getting the signal from the radio without losing the functionality of your dashboard.

Tl;dr: the system is complicated, and aftermarket solutions are expensive and often unreliable/lose functionality over OEM.

As for me, once I have more money to play with, I'll be doing the following:

1. LOC spliced into the rear right/left channels (spliced in behind the head unit right near the plug; this will be the starting point of all my following steps) since those are full-range speakers and they get the full frequency range of music.

2. Amplifier. Thinking of options... I really wanna do a Dolby Pro Logic setup with a center speaker and an external sub, but if I find that that's not doable, then I'll go with a 4 channel amp... Just front left/right, rear left/right. Police package already has some wiring done, but it's easy enough to run wires for power for the amp using the access hole in the firewall anyway.

3. Use factory wiring and make crossovers for the front doors.
- crossovers will be near the head unis, since the wires are split for the tweeters and woofers for the front doors at the head unit. This will also mean that I don't need to really waterproof them since they won't be in the doors and potentially exposed to the elements.
- I'll make crossovers that match the aftermarket tweeters and woofers I install. Haven't decided on exactly what I'm going to get yet.
- Use factory wiring, no need to run wires, nice and clean setup is the result with the crossovers hidden behind the dash. *Chef's kiss*

4. Install the aftermarket cones in the doors (and center of the dash if I'm going for the 5.1 Dolby Pro Logic setup). Again, no plan for specific speakers and tweeters yet.

5 (optional). Install external subwoofer and subwoofer amp if applicable. This will be the only thing I really need to do some serious running of wires for, but luckily the Police Interceptor Utility has a lot of features that help with that, such as the rear power center behind the right-rear cargo area wall. There is a powerful positive and negative terminal there meant to run police equipment like radios and lights and such.

And I believe that's everything I'd have to do. I'd lose the ability to fade front or back, but I'd retain the factory head unit functions of volume and balance left/right at least, as well as the factory equalizer. I listen to music on my phone exclusively via AUX input anyway so I'll use my phone for more detailed EQ if needed. I believe the line output converter will allow the factory volume controls to work... I've never done any of this before though so let me know if that's incorrect.

If I missed any important steps here or if I'm plain wrong about anything please just let me know! I'm super excited to eventually do this and I'd love to have a more refined and specific plan drawn up before doing this stuff. I like to be thorough.

At least you guys have sync. Try ANY kind of upgrade in these without sync. I see this type of setup as a complete fail on fords end.

At least you guys have sync. Try ANY kind of upgrade in these without sync. I see this type of setup as a complete fail on fords end.
I don't have sync. I'll be using line-out converters and hopefully that'll work while retaining all of the standard features of the radio like the reverse sensor alarm etc.

I don't have sync. I'll be using line-out converters and hopefully that'll work while retaining all of the standard features of the radio like the reverse sensor alarm etc.
I have a 4” screen. No nav, no rear speakers. The only upgrade I can see is one of those Phoenix 12”’screens. They get very mixed reviews though

I have a 4” screen. No nav, no rear speakers. The only upgrade I can see is one of those Phoenix 12”’screens. They get very mixed reviews though
You do most likely have rear speakers, just no cutout for them in the door panels. I have the same small 4" screen without nav or anything.

I’m too old school to be stuck with a vehicle without a reasonable way to upgrade the always garbage systems the factory puts in. Add a 4/5 channel amp, and use a cheap tablet for navigation.

Rear speakers are overrated.

Found this but although the member is still active, he hasn't answered any of the questions asked of him. 2014 Explorer base model radio upgrade
Not sure if something like this would work; Clarion North and South America | FX508
I'm sure that even the Phoenix unit requires sync for some of the features.
There were pictures of a PIU where a member just drilled holes for the speakers that were already there but not visible behind the panel but unfortunately he used a 3rd party picture hosting site and the pictures are no longer there.

Peter

I used to love clarion gear.

Found this but although the member is still active, he hasn't answered any of the questions asked of him. 2014 Explorer base model radio upgrade
Not sure if something like this would work; Clarion North and South America | FX508
I'm sure that even the Phoenix unit requires sync for some of the features.
There were pictures of a PIU where a member just drilled holes for the speakers that were already there but not visible behind the panel but unfortunately he used a 3rd party picture hosting site and the pictures are no longer there.

Peter
It’s so ridiculous that Ford gives you literally zero options for any kind of upgrade without Sync. The only thing I know would work is the Havis ICS 12” screen. For $3500, they can keep that.

It’s so ridiculous that Ford gives you literally zero options for any kind of upgrade without Sync. The only thing I know would work is the Havis ICS 12” screen. For $3500, they can keep that.
There are even compromises with that system. You lose some features like the outside temperature display and speed-compensated volume etc. All things that I actually make good use of personally!

There are even compromises with that system. You lose some features like the outside temperature display and speed-compensated volume etc. All things that I actually make good use of personally!
I’d tease those things for a larger screen, nav, and better sound, in a heartbeat

Don't forget that we are talking about PIUs here. Although I'm not positive, I believe Sync was an option, not a standard feature. Likely most departments don't have some of the needs that are in the retail units. It could be cost savings too.

Peter

Don't forget that we are talking about PIUs here. Although I'm not positive, I believe Sync was an option, not a standard feature. Likely most departments don't have some of the needs that are in the retail units. It could be cost savings too.

Peter
I’m sure it was done to save a few dollars, then I look at the same departments getting a twin turbo model....not really a reason for that. I understand why it wasn’t purchased, but no reason to imbed a system like that, that ISNT in all cars. Sync cars have options, non-sync is a definite handicap

Back