• Register Today It's free!

why won't front flex with IFS?

cantspell

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hi there, i just went rafting and managed to do a little (very little) rock crawling, however, i noticed that my front does not seem to flex. I might get like an inch or two, that's it. The back can be at full droop/drop, i figure about 8", but the front nothing, and of course without a locker, it limits where i can go?

Is this due to the sway bar? or the specific torsion bars i have? Or what?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Taking the swaybar off for wheeling will definatly help... but IFS is very lacking in the wheel travel dept... thats why alot of people decide to go with a SAS....

IFS by its very nature doesnt flex all that much. If you want to get independent suspension to flex you have to do custom work and spend BIIIIIIG bucks.

IFS doesnt flex as per what the other guys said..... Basically, on a torsion bar setup, all the suspension travel you get is how much each torsion bar will bend.... and the way they ar edesigned and the way metal flexes, it will either bend to a certain point, or snap if tried to be forced past that point....

From fully extended to fully compressed, the IFS only has about 8 inches of travel. That's without the sway bar. You usually can't get the full 8 inches either because of the stiffness of the t-bars.

Back