Why won't new stereo work with speakers?? PLEASE HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why won't new stereo work with speakers?? PLEASE HELP!

williams.cory

Reaction score
City, State
Rust Filled, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 5.0
I have a 1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer and it has the JBL sound system. I just got a Pioneer DEH-P4000UB head unit. I got the HU to power on and funtion, but it will not put music to my speakers! No matter which wire I connect it just will not play the speakers. I went and got a inside stereo speaker and hooked it up to the outlets that are suppost to connect to the speaker wires. Just after connecting the speaker comes to life with wonderful music! So why is it that it will play on that speaker but when i go to connect it to the speaker wire in my Explorer it wont work??? This has me very fustrated!!!!!!!!

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks, Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you know if your sound system features an external amp? that could explain some of your probelm. or are you going DIRECTLY to the speakers. im not familiar with the jbl system in the eddie baur. i do however have a ford w/ a premium sound system so i may be able to help once you give some more info. if you can be a little more detailed myself and others on this forum will def be able to help you more.

Yes, I have a external amp. its in the rear on the passenger side. As far as i know im directly wiring it to the speakers. I took the stock radio out and I cut the wires on the plugs going to the radio to slice them together with the new radio plug in.

you need to turn on the stock amplifier, the blue/white coming out of the deck needs to be hooked up to the remote turn on. In 96 and 99 explorers it's a blue wire. But I can't find it for 97 or 98 on my wiring sites. check and see if you have that wire.

It's usually better to bypass the amp though cause the hi levels of the output of the radio isn't meant to go through an amp. the internal amp of the radio is already amping it, then the stock amp the in the truck amps it up more, so it can sound really bad. it really needs the low level outputs from the rcas.

Edit:

harness to integrate into amp: Metra harness# 70-5603
harness to bypass amp: Metra harness# 70-5601

dude thanks so much for pointing out that connecter from Wal-Mart!!!!!!!!! I never thought about that! lol. Now that I got all the wires cut and the whole fricken dash apart and man o man what a mess it is! I'm a runnin down to Wally world tomarrow to get it.

dude thanks so much for pointing out that connecter from Wal-Mart!!!!!!!!! I never thought about that! lol. Now that I got all the wires cut and the whole fricken dash apart and man o man what a mess it is! I'm a runnin down to Wally world tomarrow to get it.

I actually edited that part out cause they probably won't have the right harness. you'll have to check out best buy, circuit city, or your local audio shop.

not to sure on the jbl system but i think you have to find the wire that turns on the amp to get the speakers to work not sure what wire it is dont normaly cut the wires is easier to just but a wireing harness for your x it may have a amp bypass. you could try to bypass the wires at the amp

wow, i never thought of that before. if all the speakers are wired to the amp then of course ill have to power the amp to make it work. I looked online at wolly-world and saw a harness that looks like what i need for like 7 bucks.

not to sure on the jbl system but i think you have to find the wire that turns on the amp to get the speakers to work not sure what wire it is dont normaly cut the wires is easier to just but a wireing harness for your x it may have a amp bypass. you could try to bypass the wires at the amp

that's what i said like 3 posts up...

my bad must have skipped right over that post

i would recommend doing one of two things.

1. loose the amp and run wire directly to the speakers. (they should def work right away if you do this).

2. (my personal preferance and what i did for my truck) when you get that wiring harness solder on some rca tips to the speaker wires on the harness. then connect them to the preamp(rca) outs of the headunit. this way you will still be able to utilize that powerfull amp you have in your back seat. O yea and dont forget to hook up that remote turn on lead. its the blue or blue white wire coming out of your radio and you will have to check the wiring diagrams to see what it is on your system. (go to crutchfields online support and try a search it should be in there)

This is all very confusing! This is the 2nd full day with my dash pulled apart trying to figure this out! I have the JBL system with the sub in the back and all that. So does that make a difference? I got a wire harness today and put it in, but i have the same result, no sound. I hear about bypassing the amp, but how the heck do i do it? I have read threads all over but none say how to bypass it. Am i just going to have to run new wire from each speaker to the HU???

Thanks

This is all very confusing! This is the 2nd full day with my dash pulled apart trying to figure this out! I have the JBL system with the sub in the back and all that. So does that make a difference? I got a wire harness today and put it in, but i have the same result, no sound. I hear about bypassing the amp, but how the heck do i do it? I have read threads all over but none say how to bypass it. Am i just going to have to run new wire from each speaker to the HU???

Thanks

Look at my post #4. Either of those harnesses will work. The one that integrates with the stock amp has rca's (like what 04STadrenalin did, but already made) and you just plug them into your pre-amps of the deck. If you get the bypass harness then you just run the 17 feet of wire to the amp(under door sills, behind kick panels, etc.) and plug it into the factory amp wire harnesses. Both will come with a piece of paper to tell you what to do. I work at an audio shop here and use these harnesses and others all the time. There is another way but then you have to find out wire colors and whatnot, not worth the time imho. You just unplug the harnesses going tot he amp and cut the speaker wires off each plug and wire them together. I've done it in a few explorers where we didn't have the harness to bypass the amp and the guy "wanted it done today or never" and also in some of the 97 explorer's the harnesses were changed for a bit so there isn't a harness kit for it. So if you want to bypass it without the harness, or the bypass kit is not the right plugs then these are the colors to connect from one harness at the amp to the other (I wrote these down so I wouldn't have to match them up the next time another comes in):

Right Rear: Violet/White - Light Blue
Left Rear: Light Blue/Black - Yellow
Right Front: White/Red - Brown
Left Front: Light Green - White/Orange

BTW, running new wire will work but is unneeded and annoying to do. The boot on the driver side(might be the others, don't remember, but definitely know the driver side does) is actually a plug so you can't run wires through it without drilling a hole through two pins that aren't being used or make a new hole in the door jam and the door and run wires with a new boot.

Thank you for posting which wires have what color! That will come in very handy! I was just dreading having to take off the rear quarter interior panel to access the amp, but it looks as if its the easiest thing to do. :( All this is is kinda above my head and im starting to understand how to do it. Sorry for misunderstandings and not knowing what you are talking about. I'm 16 and this is my first time installing a radio so its pretty confusing....

Oh, and it doesnt help any having to go threw that JBL set-up! Installing a head unit should be easier than this....

Thank you for posting which wires have what color! That will come in very handy! I was just dreading having to take off the rear quarter interior panel to access the amp, but it looks as if its the easiest thing to do. :( All this is is kinda above my head and im starting to understand how to do it. Sorry for misunderstandings and not knowing what you are talking about. I'm 16 and this is my first time installing a radio so its pretty confusing....

hey man dont worry. when i did my first radio install i was all over forums looking for help. you kinda figure out how everything works once you start doing it yourself. thats the best way to learn.

and getting a jbl head unit wouldn't have made it any easier on you.(i installed a pioneer head unit on a pioneer system and still had to to all this).
ford makes "special" wiring for their premium sound systems. not aftermarket standard wiring. they pretty much do this to make it a pain in the but for people like us to upgrade our sound. your JBL system is intended to work with its own parts only and nothing else. but we make ways around it :)

you need to turn on the stock amplifier, the blue/white coming out of the deck needs to be hooked up to the remote turn on. In 96 and 99 explorers it's a blue wire. But I can't find it for 97 or 98 on my wiring sites. check and see if you have that wire.

It's usually better to bypass the amp though cause the hi levels of the output of the radio isn't meant to go through an amp. the internal amp of the radio is already amping it, then the stock amp the in the truck amps it up more, so it can sound really bad. it really needs the low level outputs from the rcas.

Edit:

so just curious, which one of those harness's be the right one for me in order to keep using my subwoofer? i have the jbl system and im looking to get a head unit that has an aux port on it that's cheap like this one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AV67-12V-Ca...631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cef38eb47

Edit:

I just wanted to put here that the Metra 70-5603 does not work on an 96 EB with factory amp. I ordered one and the connector is not the same. Was really hoping to use the factory sub and amp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back