Why you should not ignore your u-joints | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why you should not ignore your u-joints

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
So My truck had a pretty bad squeak that was getting progressively worse. I was told it was a bad u-joint and I finally had the time (and weather) to swing under this Saturday and change them out. I was able to get them changed out in roughly 3 hours, front and rear shafts. Below you will see horrfiying pictures of how NOT to handle u-joint maintence - my rear joint on the rear shaft was such a complete disaster I'm surprised it didn't explode on the highway at some point. I let this go for far too long and I'm lucky it didn't come back to really bite me.

Rear part of the rear shaft, removed:

Driveshaft1.jpg

First sign that something was horribly wrong:

Driveshaft2.jpg

Punched it out, pulled off the first cap, and here's what I found:

Driveshaft3.jpg

Driveshaft4.jpg

Driveshaft5.jpg

...packed with a healthy mix of mud, old grease, and pin bearings that appeared to have been put in an industrial blender.

Took off the OTHER cap, and below is what I found. The cap fully cracked from me slamming it with the BFH, but it was already slightly cracked and in terrible condition.

Driveshaft6.jpg

Replaced the joint:

Driveshaft7.jpg

Driveshaft8.jpg

Driveshaft9.jpg

Driveshaft10.jpg

And replaced the front shaft joint as well:

Driveshaft11.jpg

The moral of the story here is routine maintenence would have prevented the problem from ever getting this bad, but I neglected to check the joint until it started yelling at me (see video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsn8g58Yjqw), which could have been too late. Learn from my mistake and check those joints.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jason. I think you broke a needle bearing or two! :eek: Holy! That's probably the worst I've ever seen. Good write-up too.

Wowzers!

Good thing you got it done when you did. A drive shaft spinning at high speeds with one end disconnected can do some terrible damage.

I had a shaft come out at high RPM, it shot out sideways and landed 50' away from the vehicle. No Bueno.

Holy SMUT!

You really are lucky it didn't grenade!

I'm changing mine now... For $20 each not a big deal vs. the potential disaster...

You would be supprised how they hold up with no needle bearings. I broke 2 alloy stub shafts in my front 44 at the same time and when I swapped in a new axle I took the u-joint off at the yoke and found neither side had needle bearings left, just a fine powder. I would have thought the ujoint would have let go but it never did.

Nice catch!

Jason. I think you broke a needle bearing or two! :eek: Holy! That's probably the worst I've ever seen. Good write-up too.

I know, it's actually kinda embarrassing posting with them looking that bad. :rolleyes:

I had a shaft come out at high RPM, it shot out sideways and landed 50' away from the vehicle. No Bueno.

WTF? Like an ICBM!

great pics

grandiosas fotos

Back