• Register Today It's free!

Why?

BlueEx00

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
Why do we like these old explorers so much? My reason is because I find parts for soooo cheap compared to the little Kia Soul I drove before the ex, so far it hasn’t let me down, I can feel the tranny slip alittle but it’s nothing bad I’m even considering saving and just drive it for as long as it lets me. I’ve never had that mentality about anything!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cheap parts is certainly a factor, not sure if that's good or bad thing.

Well for those of us trying to pay debt off it’s certainly nice!

Outside of my V8 Swapped Eddie Bauer, which was a project for multiple reasons, I love mine simply because in 2.5 years, a $200 junkyard bound V8 2000 only let me down three times, with near 300K miles, no history, and almost all original parts. It'll work like a mule, never complains much, you can rebuild the front suspension for dirt cheap, tires are cheap, and it's just practical to drive.

Outside of my V8 Swapped Eddie Bauer, which was a project for multiple reasons, I love mine simply because in 2.5 years, a $200 junkyard bound V8 2000 only let me down three times, with near 300K miles, no history, and almost all original parts. It'll work like a mule, never complains much, you can rebuild the front suspension for dirt cheap, tires are cheap, and it's just practical to drive.
Aside from the terrible fuel economy. I liked daily driving my Mounty, but I was spending so much in gas it almost paid for itself to buy a smaller car.

I drove a 79 Bronco for 18 years until I got my Ex because I liked them and they are simple to work on.

I got the EX because they are simple to work on and I can still have a v8 and after some tinkering I still have my manual 4x4 with lockers and a v8.

When Explorers are hard to find (like the old Broncos) I don't know what I'll drive next but I hope that wont be for a long time.

Cheap to buy, cheap to own if you do your own repairs, V8's (and OHV V6's) are very reliable and can go 300k+, easy to work on, parts are readily available.

I have the sohc v6 are those reliable?

I have the sohc v6 are those reliable?

In a word, no. They seldom survive 200K due to timing chain failure, which is very expensive to repair in parts and labor.

Thank y’all!! Do you think I can do a swap over to a ohv engine?

Yes but, it's much simpler to swap to another similar Explorer, with the more reliable engine and transmission. You can do anything with these trucks, but it's more feasible to patiently locate a truck that you like as much, but has the added features your current one doesn't.

These are awesome SUV's. They used to be the standard for size and popularity. Ford was only one of a half dozen brand choices back then, now there are dozens of makes building SUV's. These didn't have to compete with car platform SUV's, the newest engine technology like today, or serious off road competition(next to Jeep).

So it is amazing to see how well they have worked given the times they were built in. They are the right size for my work as mail carrier, though more interior volume would be nice. I'll keep mine running for many years to come.

You guys are awesome thank you! It’s a shame I got the crap ex lol 5r55e and a sohc lol but with the wisdom y’all have given me I will go look for another one after I enjoy this one for a bit also what’s the most reliable set up y’all would recommend to look for motor and trans set up wise.

You guys are awesome thank you! It’s a shame I got the crap ex lol 5r55e and a sohc lol but with the wisdom y’all have given me I will go look for another one after I enjoy this one for a bit also what’s the most reliable set up y’all would recommend to look for motor and trans set up wise.

The 302/AWD in the 96-01's are the best drivetrain in any Explorer. The 98-01's are the best after some minor changes Ford made in the 97 model year. So find the best condition 98-01 if you can, the 98-01 Mountaineer has identical feature options except for the memory seat of the Limited's. In 1999 Ford created a new fender flare for the Explorers, it's wider than the 95-98 flare option was, and some people don't like the look of them from behind as much. That's why I hunted for a 98 Limited for my last two, I didn't want the 99-01 flares.

Look for condition most of all, especially the obsolete parts. You can rebuild the mechanical items of any of them, but certain things can only be had with used parts, which are all 20 years old now. The rear hatch weatherstrip for instance, that is the same for all 91-01's, plus the 2002/03 2dr Sport's, but nobody makes it now. The interior parts are precious, as are the window and door trim, and the various switches in the dash etc. Some things you can still buy new, but not many of those.

Ok awesome I’ll keep my eyes out!

the new trucks are not built like these were
Then 91-01 Explorers are pretty much built like tanks
The newer stuff.....well not so much
They just hold up! They are cheap to repair, reliable, safe and of course they are FORD TRUCKS so everyone else can go pound sand.

Well if I have to repair the trans I might as well change out the timing chains

DSCF0013.JPG

The Explorers were among the toughest vehicles in their class at the time. Body on frame with a long lasting drivetrain makes for a solid platform to build on.

26 years of this kind of fun and still going strong!

That’s awesome I feel better!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything is possible, but it's a lot of work. Probably not worth the effort. The V6 transmissions (while the same for both engines) are on the weak side also. IMO the 98-01 V8's (2WD or AWD) are the most desirable. I don't need the AWD and prefer the 2WD models. Less weight and complexity + slightly better fuel economy.

Back