Why? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why?

I agree unfortunately I guess I’ll just have to keep buying cash cars lol
Remember our explorers were 34,000 back in the day or at least mine was lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree unfortunately I guess I’ll just have to keep buying cash cars lol
Remember our explorers were 34,000 back in the day or at least mine was lol.

I know, my 2001 Eddie Bauer was around $36,000 new IIRC. The depreciation is amazing. These trucks are great value for the money if you find a good one (which is getting very hard to do today). I just saw a 2000 XLT 4x4 on CL with only 25,000 miles on the ODO. The truck looked great, but the guy is asking $6,900+ for it. He's insane. No one in their right mind would pay that for that truck. Absolute top dollar might be around $3,000-$3,500 for it if it's pristine. No way I'd pay him even that much with it being a 4.0L SOHC.

Purchased for $1,200 --- 4x4 with L.S. rear end -owned/driven by elderly guy -- with near bullet proof 4.0 ohv - as long as I don't seriously overheat it (wont happen) / clean interior / straight body / 163K mileage with rebuilt tranny --and it's American - that's why!

I would love to get to the point we’re I can do all of that!

If you get the 5.0 Explorer, anyone who has ever worked on older Ford V8's can work on your truck. The 4.0 SOHC is an unusual engine design that few Ford guys know how to deal with. Most people avoid bothering to learn about it, the one's that know a lot of them are here to share what they know.

I keep my Explorers because they are all virtually the same. If I need a part for one, I often have it new somewhere, and if not I can borrow it from another truck I have.

When I finally do have to build a 302 again, it'll probably be with some upgrades. For a stock build, a 302 can cost as little as a few hundred dollars in parts, plus the machine work and R&R labor. I see an easy $1000 extra to build any kind of non stock 302, about half for different pistons and unique cam and valve springs, the rest for tuning. I have a set of mild heads ready now to build a 306, they are mildly ported and have proper custom cam springs in them. With maybe 15% or more extra port flow than GT40 heads, they could get a 306 to 275rwhp with a big exhaust and 9.6:1 compression, my estimate. It's easier to do it with bigger heads, more rpm etc, but I need regular gas and 5500rpm limits. That will likely be about a $3k engine, with tuning.

As for me, I paid 500 bucks for my 97 mounty. I had planned to just drive it until it had a major issue and just walk away from it, get something else . Instead, I fell in love over the last 3 years and have played with quite a bit on it. Currently I have all the stuff to switch over to manual part time 4wd except for the BW 4406. Every chance I get I do something else to make it even more comfortable and I plan to keep it indefinitely. They just grow on you and suddenly you want nothing else. This weekend the old BBK exhaust from my mustang will be installed on it. Can't Wait!

how feasible is the timing chain replacement if you do it before it fails? I have 152K on my SOHC v6 and it's running like a top. hate to lose it just because the timing chain went out.

how feasible is the timing chain replacement if you do it before it fails? I have 152K on my SOHC v6 and it's running like a top. hate to lose it just because the timing chain went out.
The chains never really break, the tensioners and guides fail, and then the motor will jump time.​

Just install a pre oiler and forgot about it

Well hopefully he will realize that, and that’s another reason I will never buy anything new lol.

1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4 new in 1988 was over $18,000
I wonder how much the luxury edition of the 2020 "small" Bronco will be? $42,000? inflation is NUTS
Remember when $10 an hour was alot of money???

It’d be right on par. That 18,000 would be right around 40k now.

I remember breaking into the teens. I thought I was big ballin’

Yeah, I checked 2019 Explorer prices last year and found a well equipped version was priced at around $56,000. There wont be any new vehicles in my future that's for sure.

Geez! Yep I definitely will be buying off the Craigslist car lot

just bought a 2000 XLT 5.0 AWD great rig very clean does everything I need would buy 10 more if I could.

My new 2000 5.0
Resized_20190815_070333.jpeg

The chains never really break, the tensioners and guides fail, and then the motor will jump time.​

How big a job in terms of hours of labor would a professional bill for the job if he was using his labor estimating guide?

tell me more about the pre oiler? I have an accusump on my road race car but that’s on a G switch for long hard corners... somehow that doesn’t sound like what is needed here...

Our 1997 4.0 sohc has spent 99% of its life in Southern California where it was kind of boring and slow and trucky handling (I like sports cars). But now we’re wintering in snow country (well, Denver), I’ve fallen in love with this thing. It’s got 152K original miles and I’d like it to last quite a bit more.

Search the forum. The questions you seek should all be answered here, multiple times. Short answer, it depends on shop rates where you live. Call a local shop and ask them.

Search the forum. The questions you seek should all be answered here, multiple times. Short answer, it depends on shop rates where you live. Call a local shop and ask them.

I will search. But I wasn’t asking about shop rates. I was asking about how many hours those “job estimator” programs that pro mechanics have, would estimate for the job.

-Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To pull for engine, replace the timing components and reinstall it $2000-$2500. Not worth it on a vehicle that's worth $1200-$2000. Plus the guy doing the job better know what he's doing as it's a complicated engine to work on. Many mechanics are not even interested in working on these engines.

Pre-oilers are devices that build oil pressure before you start the engine.This is important on the 4.0L SOHC engine because the the timing chain tensioners are hydraulic (pumped up by engine oil pressure).

For example:
Engine Pre Lube System Insta-Lube Kit

Back