Width/offset/backspace advice please??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Width/offset/backspace advice please???

My 99 Explorer Sport currently sits on 285/75/16s on Factory rims, with a 3" BL, Warrior 153's and a TT... so roughly 5" of lift...

548478_10150769329116573_522784825_n.jpg

I'm planning on putting a 4" Superlift suspension lift on it, and I'm wondering what would be the best wheel/tire combo...

Ideally, I'd like 35's... but, I also want them to sit further out, and we a lot wider than the 285's that are on there now... I'd also like to keep with a 16" Rim...

classic_iii_black.jpg

Something along those lines would be nice..

Any suggestions... ??

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go 16x8s just because its getting harder to find decent 15" tires

Go with 15s. Lot more tire options and you can get a set of steelies and tires for about as much as you'd spend on a set of 5 16" inner diameter tires. You could switch back to stock shackles and do an SOA to match the 4" superlift up front instead of using the rear springs. Just a thought.

I found most 16" rims have a 4.5 inch backspacing. Its easier to get the wider stance via backspacing on a different sized rim.

How'd you make out on this Si? Im starting to look around at what I want to do for rims as my summer rubber is pretty worn. Backspacing and offset get confusing. At least until you know for sure what size of rubber you want.

Im thinking I'll be looking for the lightest combo possible.

no further along tbh... I haven't got a clue what I want... or what I'm going to do... I really think going to 10x15 with 33x12.50x15 tires would be my best solution... to making a wider stance... but... I'm reluctant to part with cash till I know for sure that they'll sort my problem out

Si

Idk if the wheel you have pictured comes in but a 10 in wide wheel with 3.75 back spacing will give it a nice stance and with a body lift and super lift it shouldn't rub. I have seen 16x10 with 3.5 and 4 in backspacing. I think to find the 3.75 and 3.5 backspacing you might have to call. Here's a pic of mine with 15x10 3.75 backspacing and -44 mm offset.

IMAG0214-1.jpg

I have all kinds of room to fit 35's when I have the money. If needed I'll try to get a better pic.

PM a guy on here GSEBrent for the BS and offset of his rims. He has 15x10's with 13.50 wide tires and he has minimal rubbing.

does anyone make a 16x10? I've seen 15x10s... but, 16x10 would save me having to buy a new set of tires...

Si

does anyone make a 16x10? I've seen 15x10s... but, 16x10 would save me having to buy a new set of tires...

Si

I have 16x10 on my 1-ton, but i dont recall if that style was available with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern

You may have to look into the jeep offset and backspacing. i have seen them in our bolt pattern before so they're out there.

Here is what Summit Racing has to offer in 16x10 with a 4 inch backspacing. which should work. Now there's only 5 to choose from to where if you went with what i have a 15x10 3.75 backspacing and -44 offset then you'll have almost 40 wheels to choose from.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-52-6166/overview/pcw-52-6166/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-98-6165/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-99-6165/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-152-6166/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3527112/overview/

it'll be a bout a 1/4 less dish then mine. and the wheel centerline will be -38 rtather then -44 like mine. So basically your inner clearance will be 6mm less then mine distance of wheel to shock/suspension and you'll have 6 mm less Outer Position (position of the outside edge of the wheel) so this wheel wont stick out as far as mine do from the fender. I'll post a chart maybe it'll be easier to understand i get confusing some times. lol. but you'll be fine with 16x10 with 4 inch backspacing and -38mm offset.

Now this chart is comparing my wheels (not OEM like it says) to a 16x10 4 inch backspacing and -38mm offset. The chart also didn't have a selection for flotation tire size so i got as close as i could with metric tire size to a 33x12.50R15/R16

wheelspecs_zps3e9c37c3.jpg

Just more food for thought.

16" wheels and tires "should" balance out better. Especially on a larger diameter tire. Less rubber usually means less room for error.

However, the flip side of this discussion is the "sticking out" part. I just want you to be aware that doing this makes your truck get much dirtier, much faster. All the road stuff will go down the sides. And it is very difficult to get any kind of flare to work down low where it actually needs to be without rubbing on the tire in turns. Also, sticking out further means the tire will not "tuck in" as well during a turn, which means you will need that much more fender clearance, which compounds the slushy mud down the side of the truck problem.

ok... well I'm thinking I'll be sticking with my couragia M/T's until I can afford something wider, they're currently 285/75/16s...

The reason for wanting a wider track is that Pickle is rather short... and I also want to put a suspension lift on it.. making the track wider will make it less tippy... (in my mind)....

getting it dirty.. is all part of the fun!! haha... plus I know a really good local detail shop ;)

Si

So these rims

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-98-6165/overview/

would sit out further than my factory 16s?

Si

Yes they would. by a 1/2 in to 3/4 in.

Just more food for thought.

16" wheels and tires "should" balance out better. Especially on a larger diameter tire. Less rubber usually means less room for error.

However, the flip side of this discussion is the "sticking out" part. I just want you to be aware that doing this makes your truck get much dirtier, much faster. All the road stuff will go down the sides. And it is very difficult to get any kind of flare to work down low where it actually needs to be without rubbing on the tire in turns. Also, sticking out further means the tire will not "tuck in" as well during a turn, which means you will need that much more fender clearance, which compounds the slushy mud down the side of the truck problem.

your right about that they will be easier to balance, and they will throw mud and dirt all over the side of the Explorer. as seen in my picture i posted, that wasn't really from playing that's from normal 30 mph driving down game reserve trails.

ok... well I'm thinking I'll be sticking with my couragia M/T's until I can afford something wider, they're currently 285/75/16s...

The reason for wanting a wider track is that Pickle is rather short... and I also want to put a suspension lift on it.. making the track wider will make it less tippy... (in my mind)....

getting it dirty.. is all part of the fun!! haha... plus I know a really good local detail shop ;)

Si

you can still fit those tires on the 16x10's i believe they come out to a 32.5x11.25 as for a wider more stable track the wheels will help but will be really noticeable when you have wider tires. Getting the Explorer dirty is definitely all of the fun in having it set up like this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok... well... Thanks for all the help so far.. but... I really want aluminum rims... I've searched the net... and come up short..

Does anyone know of aluminum rims, in the same or similar style to the first ones I posted... in a 16x10. with the offset/backspacing that will make it work..

Also.. I currently run a 285 75 16. I tried finding something wider in a similar diameter.. but again, couldn't..

Any suggestions to both would be great...

Thanks

Si

Back