wierd problem when I stop and turn right only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wierd problem when I stop and turn right only

ccm2001

Reaction score
City, State
Vaughan Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT
When I come to a stop let's say about to make a right turn or about to reverse park . my brakes seem to fail not completly tho. Feels like abs bout I doubt it.

Only when I turn right and pressing the brakes. Just before I'm coming to a complete stop

I'm very stumped bye this issue no idea

03 explorer sport xlt 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it feels like an ABS activation it's a good chance that is what it is. I've seen quite a few low speed activations from a glitching sensor. I would check for play in the front hub bearings. Doesn't take much play to cause a sensor to glitch. If you have access to a scan tool you can watch the data to see if you have a sensor dropping out. You probably will not have an activation while watching th data on the scan tool as most manufacturers disable ABS while watching the data stream. Hope this helps.

Front hubs are fine. Just did my brakes and rotors all around. I though many I twisted my brake line when putting back the calipers

I'll probly just disable abs. Not a fan of it anyways. Just hope it does not throw cell light

One cheap/free thing worth checking-the plug on the ABS wire near the bearing. I've gotten 2 "ABS" warning lights over time that weren't a malfunction of any components but they caused that odd feeling when braking.

The first was several thousand miles after changing my first hub assembly. I accidentally failed to properly route the ABS sensor cable and the rotor was slightly rubbing it. Eventually it chewed through the ABS sensor cable's insulation and caused the glitch.

The second was, again, several thousand miles after a bearing was starting to howl/go bad. The vibration caused the plug to loosen and the ABS to act up. I found the loose connection, re-seated the plug, and the issue cleared up until I could get the assembly replaced.

Maybe check out these potential problems?

Back