• Register Today It's free!

Wierd Rattle Near Idler/Radiator

Mrlee75

Reaction score
City, State
Arcadia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L AWD Eddie Bauer
I have a 97 v8 awd explorer and I'm getting an odd rattle towards the front of the engine. Sounds like marbles rolling around coming from/near the idler pulley and radiator, need help!

It started today when I started it up. It's not really THAT cold as it is California, but it is colder than normal (approx. mid 50's and raining). Been driving it around lately and have never encountered that problem. I put a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner, lucas oil power steering fluid, and transmission fix in yesterday. Then the noise started this morning. Don't think they have anything to do with the noise, but just want to make sure.

replace the idler pulley? bad bearings?

Link below to hear the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3imActwCSuM

new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPlCMSBLrlg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take off the drivebelt and rotate all of the pulleys by hand to test for roughness and noise. If none of the pulleys appear to be the cause you can run the engine for a very short amount of time, less than a minute, to see if is not accessory related. At high mileage these tend to go bad and need to be replaced. It's a cheap part and easy to do.

It sounds like an Idler Pulley on the way out...

Now the only question is, Which one? There are 2 Idler Pulleys (upper & lower), and 1 Tensioner Pulley.

Ryan

My gut feeling is the upper idler pulley. Noise seems to be coming right in front of the radiator fan. i think the 2nd idler pulley is off more towards the left of the radiator fan?

BTW, how the hell do you get that tensioner loose? there's no hole for the 3/8" ratchet, instead there's a bolt in the middle. It says turn clockwise, which I've been trying to do, but it simply won't budge. Not a whole lot of space in there, so it's annoying as hell.

There should be a diagram of the drivebelt's routing at the front of the engine bay. On that diagram it will plainly show which way to loosen the tensioner. On mine and I expect your 5.0L V8 it loosens clockwise as viewed from the front of the engine bay looking aft.

Before removing the drivebelt I usually have to remove both the air cleaner hose and the upper radiator hose. It may be possible with just the air cleaner hose removed but it will be more difficult. If you have never removed the upper radiator hose see this post and realize that a small amount of coolant will need to be drained to empty it. A safe guess would be about 1/3 of the radiator as viewed through the radiator cap.

I usually place a 15MM socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet and reach down the right (passenger) side of the engine bay. Pull up (clockwise) on the bolt which secures the tensioner pulley to the tensioner. The tensioner and pulley can be seen in this photo. The 15MM bolt head is on the front of the tensioner pulley.

The comments about the bypass hose in the first link do not apply directly to you.

Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try when I have more time.

Any advice on replacing EGR tube?

A forum search would serve you better on that issue. Or if after hours of searching you find nothing a new thread. Mixing questions and thread titles hides the useful answers from future readers.

It sounds like belt and pulley concern. The idler on the bottom next to the tensiner or the tensioner pulley are the two most common noisey pulleys.

Back