Wife’s 2015 Ford Explorer sport she wants it built for off road. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wife’s 2015 Ford Explorer sport she wants it built for off road.

kburns2358

Reaction score
City, State
Copperopolis Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Ok, been like 50 years since I played with cars, hot rods etc. never an off road car just dirt bikes. The wife has a 2015 Ford Explorer sport and wants me to get it set up for some off reading. She’s not riding the quads anymore. The razor is not her style either. So where do I start on her car ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@kburns2358 Welcome to our collective backyard! Several questions to begin; firstly, what kind of offroading are we talking about? Sand, mud and gravel, or we talking about rock crawling with lockers and gear ratio changes and 37" tires here? Secondly, what is the vehicle already equipped with? AWD, turbocharger, any specs and options concerning the engine and drivetrain will help determine where you'll need to start. Thirdly, what's the budget? That will determine the best course of action.

Personally, I'd beat that Search function dead on the upper right corner of the screen, searching for things that are relevant to the kind of modifications you're planning on doing. Also, take a good afternoon or evening using Google or other search engine of choice to find lift kits, tires and wheels, rock sliders, crash bars, tow hooks, and other relevant equipment that she's looking to add.

You're in the right subforum, so I'd also look around for threads on similar things to what you're looking to do, such as 2" lift, 4" lift, what's needed to fit, say, 33" tires, or some such. Check the pinned/stickied threads, they're bound to have useful information too!

As much as I hate to say it, the 5th-gen platform is really not a good vehicle for off-road use. It's based on the Taurus platform if I recall correctly, which is tough, but not well suited for flexy off-road situations. But if you can't talk her out of using a 5th-gen off-road, I'd search 4wheelparts.com, summitracing.com, autoanything.com, and carid.com (beware of ordering from them) for options on lift kits. Some are available for fairly cheap (3" and under), but do your research here and by reading product reviews (preferably by users who have used the kits for years before reviewing) to see what problems may be common to which particular kits.

Basically a given in offroading vehicles is that you'll want to use taller tires and smaller-diameter wheels, so that you can air down and let the sidewalls flex. The wider the tires, the better for traction, but go too wide and you'll end up scrubbing on the fenders, harming your turning radius and potentially causing body damage. Airing down works in combination with the suspension to effectively give you more suspension travel and therefore more "flex" (flex is up-travel on one end and down-travel on the other end of an axle). It also gives you a greater tire contact patch with the ground at all times, reducing the chance of spinning tires and digging down. Don't forget to air back up before driving on the road (many companies such as Slime make portable air compressors powered by the 12-volt DC that a cigarette lighter might plug into), because the added traction can damage drivetrain or steering components on the road (depending on how big your tires are), as well as cause uneven and premature tire wear.

Beware of cheap kits; again, do plentiful research in order to find which brand of kit you trust to support your vehicle.

I'm gonna go ahead and say, we really need to know what kinds of terrain your wife is going to take this Explorer onto, before we can make any recommendations.

You don't really, it is more like a tall unibody AWD station wagon. Trying to use in place of a quad or razor will result in damage and disappointment.

If all you need is the traction on relatively smooth ground, throw some all terrain tires on it. Not sure how much smaller you can go with the wheels before there are brake clearance issues, IIRC maybe 17" but 18" for sure.

I’d buy a beater. There’s not really off road support for these, as they are really just vans.

Ok, been like 50 years since I played with cars, hot rods etc. never an off road car just dirt bikes. The wife has a 2015 Ford Explorer sport and wants me to get it set up for some off reading. She’s not riding the quads anymore. The razor is not her style either. So where do I start on her car ?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The 5th gen Explorer is really only suitable for light to possibly medium off-roading, depending on the terrain. It has what they call Intelligent AWD and there is no lockable 4WD/AWD. It uses a Terrain Management System as you are aware. The best you can do, as mentioned, is change to 18" wheels and all-terrain tires. If you wanted to go further and get a little more ground clearance perhaps you may want to add a lift kit.
There are many threads on "off roading" you can find using the 'Search' feature at the top right. Here is one of them; Off Road Experience With 5th Gen Explorer !

Peter

Save the time, money and frustration and don't try to make any 2011-2019 Explorer an off road vehicle. Ford redesigned them to be pavement queens and made it essentially a front wheel drive vehicle (i.e. the engine is transverse mounted). There is virtually no aftermarket support for making a 5th gen Explorer off road worthy. The drive train just isn't built to allow it. As others have suggested, look to get a vehicle that has strong aftermarket support for enhancing off road capabilities.

Ford did attempt to make the new Explorer more off road capable. The Timberline package adds skid plates, taller springs etc...

The 5th gen Sport model you have is actually lowered 2" compared to a base explorer. Its got as much ground clearance as a Taurus which isn't that much.

I would get a fullsize pickup or jeep to go offroading (something with a frame and solid axles)

Ford did attempt to make the new Explorer more off road capable. The Timberline package adds skid plates, taller springs etc...

The 5th gen Sport model you have is actually lowered 2" compared to a base explorer. Its got as much ground clearance as a Taurus which isn't that much.

I would get a fullsize pickup or jeep to go offroading (something with a frame and solid axles)
The 6th gens might be a little more off road adaptable but I don't think it is much more than the 5th gens. The good thing is there are some new vehicles that are purpose built for off roading that are incredibly capable right out of the box. The Bronco is one and there are many others.

A stock 1st or 2nd Gen Explorer is more off roadable than any 5th gen will ever be with general mods. The 1st and 2nd gens are also easily modified for easy to moderate off road travel.

Your wife's car is just not designed to be modified in that direction.

Off roading or running off the road? lol. That case mount a 12,000 lb winch on the front.

That’d be enough winch to rip the front end clean off.

That is not a real Explorer. It is a unibody cross over. Tell her to start with a 2010, the last real Explorer.

Astrobuf

That is not a real Explorer. It is a unibody cross over. Tell her to start with a 2010, the last real Explorer.

Astrobuf
Why? A 2001 would run circles around a 2010.

I think he meant that for someone wanting marginal off road capability the 4th gens can meet that need and do it with some decent creature comforts in place.

Depends on region. All else equal, 9 years less rust.

2 weeks ago, I went out to my '98, and I see the right fog lamp hanging from its wires, under the bumper. Cage around it rusted out.

I ordered one, just received it a few days ago. Haven't had a chance to put it on yet, but walked by my '98 again yesterday and what did I see? LEFT fog lamp, now also hanging from its wires, under the bumper. lol, at least I found a good price on replacements from a one-off seller on ebay. It seems like a trivial part and it is, but is just the most recent among many rust related repairs. I feel lucky that my frame isn't swiss cheese yet.

I think he meant that for someone wanting marginal off road capability the 4th gens can meet that need and do it with some decent creature comforts in place.
Plus they are not rust buckets by now. My 2010 Ltd 4.6L has 110K miles on it and runs like a watch. That's where you start from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plus they are not rust buckets by now. My 2010 Ltd 4.6L has 110K miles on it and runs like a watch. That's where you start from.
IMO, the 2006-2010 V8 Explorers/Mountaineers are the best ones made from an aspect of being off road capable while having creature comforts, good gas mileage and overall reliability. I say this having owned 1st, 3rd and 4th gens and been around 2nd gens a good amount. Where they fall short is on aftermarket support for making them more off road capable. This said, they can still be made to be fairly good off road vehicles as long as one doesn't expect too much from them.

Back